What the hell is happening to my saturation?

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so here's the deal. I took this picture my girls and it's a composite image was several layers. The colors are much more vibrant and it seems like I'm losing saturation &/or vibrants whenever I take the image and uploaded into a different location. For example, I sent the image via iMessage to my wife. I lost some of the saturation and the image seemed more dull. I thought it was just iMessage, but then today I went to go print some images. When I went to the Walgreens website (I know, I know. But it's for a simple Valentine's Day gift, so I don't need high-quality images) The image did the same thing on their kiosk and on their website. When the final images printed out they seemed all is well. I'm not merging the layers in Photoshop before I export them as JPEG. Does this have anything to do with it? Has anybody seen this before? Thanks

What color space is the image in, and does the image have an embedded color profile?
If it has an embedded color profile, what color profile is it?

What color space is the image in, and does the image have an embedded color profile?
If it has an embedded color profile, what color profile is it?

The Color profile is ProPhoto RGB. Where do I find the other info? This is the first time that this is happened, so I'm not sure what got switched

You can only use the ProPhoto RGB color space/profile for editing.

For electronic display and online use sRGB.
For prints use sRGB, though some print makers can print from both sRGB and the Adobe RGB color space.
It depends on how sophisticated their RIP software is. (RIP = Raster Image Processor)
Some print makers do not want any embedded color profile

Open the photo in Photoshop.
On the Applications bar click on Edit > Convert to Profile. In the dialog box that pops up the top box Source Space will show the embedded profile of the image open in Photoshop.

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing
Why colors sometimes don’t match - http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WS52323996-D045-437d-BD45-04955E987DFB.html

The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I looked at this more today. It did it on another image. I looked at the color profiles and despite what I changed them to, it was fine on my computer. But when it's uploaded to iMessage or through the walgreens uploader it gives the image a greenish tint. It's so damn frustrating

Could it be related to monitor calibration?

Could it be related to monitor calibration?

Not likely. When I export it out of PS as JPEG, color calibration is exactly as it is in PS. It's when I use the website that color changes. I'm going to export them to Zenfolio to see if it happens to see if it's a website issue.

Back