What to buy (Complete Beginner)

JELIFISH19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've always had an interest in photography so I decided to take a photography class at school. I need a camera for it. The professor recommended a Canon G-10 or a G-11. Originally, I wanted a DSLR and he recommended that if I could afford it. I can afford an entry-level one like a Canon Rebel but I think it might be smarter to go a different route because DSLRs with lenses can get expensive. If I get something close to a DSLR, it can give me a feel for it to see if I want to pursue it further. Is that a smart decision?

I was looking at the Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR. It seems like it's what I'm looking for. Is there anything else I should look at? I'm looking to spend around $600.

Thanx

Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR lens is only $549 at Best Buy, D40 with 18-55 lens is only $449 at the same place.

The new Nikon D3000 (in 'taking orders' status last time I checked) is at $599 with 18-55 VR lens.

I'm sure there are Canons and others that would fit your budget as well but I only know the Nikon lineup.

If you are looking at advanced P&S, there is the Canon SX10 IS that is pretty nice, and the G10 is a great camera, will manual controls that will let you learn about photography.

I would probably go with the G10, as when you get a DSLR - if you stick with this, you will get one - then its a great camera to keep in your backpack or pocket when you dont want to drag your full kit with you.

Or maybe look at a G9 or an older model if you want to save some coin

I'm definitely looking for an advanced P&S right now. I was mainly considering Canons since that's what my professor uses so he can give me advice. I also have owned a couple of their Powershots. I was considering the G11 and the SX1IS. I was leaning more towards the SX1IS though. That's in the top 2 along with the S200EXR. But the S200EXR seems like it has more control. They're also the same price. Which one would be the better buy?

FinePix S200EXR / S205EXR | Fujifilm Global
or
PowerShot SX1 IS Digital Camera

Probably the best P&S previously was the Nikon E-8800, but it's time is gone. Today the Canon G11 rules them all in terms of the better P&S cameras out there on the market.

That said, like others say... if you can afford to get a dSLR... thats the direction you want to go.

Like bigtwinky said, if I decide to stick with it, I'll get a DSLR. Right now, I think I need something a little more convenient. I don't want to deal with different lenses. After a little more research, I realized that I'm looking more for a bridge camera, not a high end P&S.

You'll still have to deal with *a* lens, if you buy a bridge camera. It just turns out that you'll be stuck with that lens forever. You could just as easily buy a DSLR and stick with the kit lens. Then you can start "dealing with lenses" when you outgrow the kit lens. At least the option will be there if you buy a DSLR. It won't if you buy a bridge camera.

And don't completely write off analog photography. At one point I had been lusting over DSLRs for a while, but, on a whim, bought a darkroom for $60 on CraigsList. I haven't looked back. This is one way to save money in the short term, and arguably in the long term.

Of course, I suppose it all depends on what the class is more oriented towards, digital or analog.

Good luck!

A small,light entry-level Nikon or Canon is pretty affordable these days,and the picture quality from the basic kit lens (an 18-55mm f/3.5~5.6 lens) with IS from Canon or with VR from Nikon is very good. I'm surprised to hear an instructor suggest a point and shoot camera for a photo class.

As far as "seeing if you want to pursue it farther", I cannot stress enough how photography with a point and shoot is a major PITA at times, with slow focusing, and 1/10 second shutter lag, or worse. If you begin with a d-slr, you'll understand what photography is about. If you begin with a point and shoot, you probably will not understand what photography could be...

Agreed, if you can afford a DSLR even if only with the kit lens for a while, go that route. It will have much more capability and you'll learn a lot more about photography basics. Even if you decide it's not for you, you will be able to sell it, and probably at much less of a loss than the P/S camera.

It would make zero sense to me to spend $600 on a point and shoot when you could pick up a decent SLR with lens, for that price.

im also looking at equpiment for the first time.. i was thinking about a PS but i already have a PS with a few manual settings that ive been playing with so i decided to make the jump to a dslr.. i found a Nikon D40 (i know its nothing special, but its my first one..) with 2 lenses, memory, bag, basically a nice little 'kit' to start with for just $400!! also if u trust ebay, i have seen several dslr cameras go for just a few hundred bucks. so you might look into that too.

Trying to ignore the trolls but man, did Nikon sneak in your house and beat you when you were little or something?

There's absolutely no merit to your post whatsoever and you do it constantly.

Trying to ignore the trolls but man, did Nikon sneak in your house and beat you when you were little or something?

There's absolutely no merit to your post whatsoever and you do it constantly.

Just making NOYZE.

After making valid posts comparing brands and cameras and recommending cameras based on a nooblet's needs, even if it's not the camera/brand that I own, and having them all basically ignore me, I've come to the conclusion that this is a really long run on sentence.

Besides that, what's the point? Most people, mainly other nooblets, say "Buy an XSI", "Buy a D40". It's only because they own those cameras and it's not because they honestly think that's the best choice. I'm most apt to offer up "Buy used and skip entry level if you can help it because of these reasons", something with some merit.

But since I don't care anymore and it's all just a bunch of NOYZE, unless I see some one that's honestly done some research instead of just asking the old generic "which one", question, then I will continue to respond with the same old sarcastic and craptastic response.

Kind of like when people get their panties up in a bunch over which brand is better. I mean, really? I'd rock an OLY if I was shooting in locations where a rain coat was a daily accessory. It's far cheaper than a 1D MKIII. The features might not be as plentiful, but you could give me a 300D and a set of strobes and I'd make art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back