what to buy first--recent graduate???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by alg, Mar 5, 2016.

1. alg

alg TPF Noob!

Hello! Im soon to be a photography graduate and Im wondering the best piece of equipment to purchase first....I have my own camera, but where do I go now? Lights first or a printer? Or something else? Tips anyone?? thank you!

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What kind of photography are you interested in? With portraiture, you're going to want/need lights. At least one speedlight that has a swivel head. You can get prints made almost anywhere, so not the printer unless you plan to print everything. Along with a flash, you're going to want/need some light modifiers, stands, and a way to fire the flash off camera.

What lenses do you have now, and again, what kind of photography do you want to do?

Editing software is pretty much a must-have for any type, assuming you are working with digital files.

A tripod is something often overlooked, but when you need it, you need it. Along with that, get an inexpensive cable shutter release.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It depends upon what you shoot.

1. The printer not only wouldn't be first on my list, it wouldn't be second or third. You can get prints done anywhere. And a printer becomes a continual expense (replacing ink, getting photographic paper, etc.).

2. I'd start with glass. If you're just starting out, you probably have a kit lens and not a prime. It's worth having a prime b/c it can shape how you see images and they're usually so sharp--so they're educational to you as a photographer, even if you don't end up eventually relying on it all the time. And there are a lot of primes that will have very wide apertures so you can play with DoF. If you shoot a lot of interiors and architecture, you'll want a wide angle lens (like 12-20mm). Sports...you'll want a zoom with an f2.8 and at least 200mm. Birds...probably something like a 300-400mm. Water drops or bugs...a macro lens. I guarantee you, you can't afford the best glass out there so almost all photographers spend their time upgrading their lenses.

3. Depending upon what you shoot, there may be other equipment that is a priority. Shooting landscapes or interiors of space...you'll need an excellent tripod. Shooting sunsets...a circular polarizer or a set of GND filters. What you shoot depends upon what your priorities would likely be.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a free tip. Work on improving your communications skills. Your question here shows a total lack of communications skills, and communications skills--plural, skills, will be essential in whatever areas you try to find work in. By posing a question here, you have access to many collective years' worth of photo-related knowledge, experience, and skills, but by putting a very skimpy inquiry in front of this group, you're wasting our time, and limiting the applicability of the answers you are offered.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. alg

alg TPF Noob!

Well...I was asking a general question as to the first piece of equipment that most people invest in other than their camera. I shoot sports and adventure photos.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So when you say lights, you mean speedlight(s)?
    And what do you want to do with your pictures, when you say printer?

If you're purely digital from capture to print, maybe you want to start with a good monitor and calibration.

7. Ihatemymoney

Ihatemymoney No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Go get your money back, the money you paid for photography school.
    If you don't know what lighting to get and you are a photography school graduate you got ripped off.

What is your budget, what camera do you have ?

What is exactly adventure photography ?

So I have to ask ? what sports allow speed lights ?

You plan on doing this professionally ?

Most people invest into a tripod and ball head after the camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

First thing for me has always been either film or memory cards and batteries. Then a lens or two, flash, tripod or monopod and a couple camera bags. That's pretty much things I've had almost from the start with each of my camera systems.

I cannot imagine that I could possibly have given my sister any advise on what camera equipment she should have bought when she graduated from a photography program.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowbear

snowbear . Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome aboard.

Assuming you want to be a pro, the first thing you should probably buy are a couple of books on marketing and running a small business. After that, as some others have mentioned, a decent tripod and head, spare batteries and some memory cards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Books of pictures by photo artists, documentary, fashion or other working photographers whose output inspires you.

11. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am confused, you say you are a soon to be photography graduate and you are asking us what equipment to buy next.
    Why does this sounds weird to me ?
    I would think a graduate should have enough info and knowledge on what he/she need now that they are done.

BTW I would start with lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I would recommend that you save your money until YOU know what you need. Everyone has different needs depending on how and what they shoot. In reality you are the only one who can answer that question.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1