What to buy for my first Filter for Landscapes

birdbonkers84

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

I recently found a filter for my Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 lens. I got the Nisi V5 Pro (after a lot of research), but now I don't know which filter to buy first?

Any recommendations on a first filter type? i.e 2 stop, 4 stop etc, GND, hard or soft. The Nisi V5 pro comes with a cpl so I'm all good on that front.

Thanks.

I've used a Cokin for years, and have accumulated an assortment of ND, Graduated and color correction filters. I've found a 10 stop ND to be a sufficient maximum as both the Cokin and your model allow stacking filters. Because of the popularity of tbe Cokin I've been able to load up on filters (many which I probably don't need) at a used camera store I frequent. Not sure how they compare size wise to your model.

Lee 2 stop soft GND. I find the 2 stop probably the mose useful.
ah thanks weepete, now I've got somewhere to start looking. Would a 2 stop be ok for sunset/sunrises? or would I need a 3/4 stop for that?

In my experience, it is better to start off with good filters, starting off with bad ones will kill your motivation - the Cokin & Lee are extremely poor on colour neutrality, whereas the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest and NiSi are much, much better (but more expensive). As always, its up to you but if you are serious about landscape photography you'll get there eventually. and even if you think you'll be saving money buying the cheaper Cokins now, it will end up costing you much more :)

You can see about filter neutrality on my scientific comparison, here:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY REVIEW | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

As far as the kit, I would get Soft-Edge Grad filters and start with a 1.2 stop, or 0.9 and 1.5 if you can afford both. Then, I'll get a couple of ND filters, either 6 and 10 stops, or either one if you prefer to start off with one and see how you like them.

Disclaimer: I am a Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist, but I wrote that article much before having any relationship with Formatt-Hitech or any other filter manufacturer. Hope this helps! Best regards,

Vieri

ah thanks weepete, now I've got somewhere to start looking. Would a 2 stop be ok for sunset/sunrises? or would I need a 3/4 stop for that?

I think a 2 stop should be mostly sufficent, it kinda just depends on the luminance of the sky which can vary quite a bit. I do know Colin Prior reccomends that if you only have one filter the 2 stop soft GND is the one to go for too.

I should've also mentioned kood mate, but I didn't realise it was yourself. I just use the Kood GNDs I bought a while ago, value for money wise they are fantastic, better than cokin, almost indestingushable (use wise) from the lees though slightly shorter. Can only really get them in the UK though. Definately worth considering.

In my experience, it is better to start off with good filters, starting off with bad ones will kill your motivation - the Cokin & Lee are extremely poor on colour neutrality, whereas the Formatt-Hitech Firecrest and NiSi are much, much better (but more expensive). As always, its up to you but if you are serious about landscape photography you'll get there eventually. and even if you think you'll be saving money buying the cheaper Cokins now, it will end up costing you much more :)

You can see about filter neutrality on my scientific comparison, here:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY REVIEW | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

As far as the kit, I would get Soft-Edge Grad filters and start with a 1.2 stop, or 0.9 and 1.5 if you can afford both. Then, I'll get a couple of ND filters, either 6 and 10 stops, or either one if you prefer to start off with one and see how you like them.

Disclaimer: I am a Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist, but I wrote that article much before having any relationship with Formatt-Hitech or any other filter manufacturer. Hope this helps! Best regards,

Vieri
Thanks Vieri,

I have the Nisi V5 pro, so I was looking at getting a Nisi filter to go with it. Your detailed review will go along way in helping me get started.

I think a 2 stop should be mostly sufficent, it kinda just depends on the luminance of the sky which can vary quite a bit. I do know Colin Prior reccomends that if you only have one filter the 2 stop soft GND is the one to go for too.

I should've also mentioned kood mate, but I didn't realise it was yourself. I just use the Kood GNDs I bought a while ago, value for money wise they are fantastic, better than cokin, almost indestingushable (use wise) from the lees though slightly shorter. Can only really get them in the UK though. Definately worth considering.
Thanks Weepete, I'll look and see what nisi has in the 2 stop department and take it from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back