What to charge as an assistant wedding photographer?

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am applying for a position as an assistant wedding photographer. They ask what rate of pay I want. What is the going rate? Here is the ad:

I need someone on Sat, Mar 26 from 3PM - 10PM. Duties:
- set up/take down lighting equipment (will be given instruction)
- carry gear
- assist during portrait sessions
- dinner provided
- this is a non-shooting position, however you will have the opportunity to shoot when you are not busy
Only those with positive attitudes and sparkling personalities need apply.
Please respond with your expected pay rate and portfolio, if you have one and are interested in shooting. Thank you!

If you know what C-Stands, spud clamps, and snoots are, than i'd say a few hundred bucks, $300ish. If you don't, $100. You don't want to charge too much because mostly what you'll be is a pack mule and possibly making sure that hair is right.

I was getting about $150 a day.

for a non shooting position, 150-200 would be fair. thats still around 21-28$ an hour, cash probably. If you shoot, i would ask no less than 300,

I used a second shooter once and i gave him 350. He took care of the photobooth and was shooting candid.

We pay non-shooting assistants $10 an hour. Shooting assistants get paid $20 an hour, and hired 2nd shooters get paid $30 an hour.
That sounds about right.
There can be a big difference between a shooting assistant and a 2nd shooter...and it sounds like the job in question is for a shooting assistant at most.
Also, make sure you know who has what rights to the images you shoot. If you do get to use the photos you shoot (for your portfolio), then that might be a good value to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back