What to charge...

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started using smugmug... as a beginner who's taking ok, but not "great" shots - what would an appropriate price to charge be for the different sizes of prints? I've been getting asked to print for friends etc, but with my schedule it's hard for me to run around the city all the time. If I can direct them to the site, that would be a big help.

Unless you have outstanding work, its going to be hard to MAKE them come to your site. I shoot dance photography, and unless I MAKE then look at that images on my laptop, looking at images in an online gallery are at the bottom of someone priorities.

If you don't think they're good

Charge:

4x6: $3
5x7: $8
8x10: $10-15

~Michael~

Unless you have outstanding work, its going to be hard to MAKE them come to your site. I shoot dance photography, and unless I MAKE then look at that images on my laptop, looking at images in an online gallery are at the bottom of someone priorities.

If you don't think they're good

Charge:

4x6: $3
5x7: $8
8x10: $10-15

~Michael~

I've seen her pics and they're darned good (except for the ones she took of her dog).

Eleanor...
Remove the words "I'm only an amateur." Find something, anything, to use instead. It's like I've told each of my sons (possibly older than you) "You're not 'only' anything. You are a living breathing human being with a unique set of qualities."

Last edited:
my most expensive ones are the lustre print through smugmug.. they are the nicest ones, i do like the metallic, but, its not for every photo.. I offer matte, gloss, lustre, and metallic.. metallic is the most expensive, BUT, i'll give you my lustre prices (because they are the most commonly purchased)

4x6 - $7
5x7 - $16
8x10 - $33
11x14 - $48

these are wedding photo prices.. I usually do a little bit cheaper for portraits sittings.. my clients have NEVER had a problem with my costs.

I just ordered a couple lustre prints from them, a few weeks ago I ordered a bunch of metallic prints... Little league baseball and some airshow pics, in the right light they almost look 3-Dish but there was something odd about them. I'm hoping the lustre ones look a little more "normal" to me.

the metallic ones are very odd looking.. they arent at all for every photo out there.. i only use them for THINGS, not people... you will be VERY happy with the lustre prints, they look so nice and classy

Yes they seem a bit "flat" color wise unless I put them in very bright light.. Hoping the lustre ones won't be like that so much.

Anyways sorry to hijack the thread...

Most reactions

Back