What to choose, .com or .co.uk?! Help!

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am on the verge of registering a new domain name for a site I am bullding. However I am stuck with this question:

If I register a .com I have to have a very slightly different name to what I want as thats been taken as a .com already.

However if I have .co.uk I can have the exact name I want.

I live in the uk so a .co.uk would make sense but I have always prefered .coms to .co.uk's so don't know what to do!

Does it make a major difference to search engines depending whats at the end of your address?

Any thoughts appreciated, I know it may seem like a stupid thing to ask but its really bugging me now! :)

It really depends on what your site is, the name of your site/business (if that's what it is) and the name you want. I mean....if your business was Walmart, you would DEFINITELY want Walmart.com(or.co.uk), rather than something like Walmartstore.com or something, because fewer people would find your site if you didn't (in my opinion...my thoughts could be wrong,) However, if it's not important to your business, (if that's what it is), go ahead and get the slightly different one. I had to do that. I had to put a dash in my domain name. Course...it doesn't really flippin matter cuz I haven't finished making my damn website! :lol:

Silverpenguin, I have 2 .coms, a .org, and I used to have a .co.uk. I was paying overseas rates at the time, but the .co.uk was way expensive. I think they wanted like 45 pounds for me to renew, which, of course, is why I didn't. Also, I know for a fact that no one will ever buy it, so if I ever want it, it should be there.

Having said that, I know what it's like to not be able to get what you want. When I wanted servatus.com, it was already taken. I held out, and it sure enough, it turned out that they didn't renew it, so I was able to get it (I also have servatus.org--thus the .org).

So, to make a long-winded story longer, I would say that you should go with the .co.uk if that is the domain name you want. And keep your eye on the .com, if and when it becomes available, grab it.

Also, if you are really gung-ho on the .com, Godaddy.com will let keep an eye on it for you and grab it as soon as it's available, but it's like $19 or something crazy.

I feel your pain. I've been waiting for particular domain names as well, and the bastards keep renewing them :(

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Its not a business its just a new site for my pictures. The only difference in the names would be an extra initial 'M' in the middle of it. Which I know doesn't sound like a big deal but it still bugs me. Just still can't decide if it bugs me more than a .co.uk domain lol

The name I want isn't due for renewal for ages unfortunately. Whats even more annoying is its not even being used. I mailed the owner to see if they would like to sell but they never got back to me :(

.co.uk are cheaper than .com and you buy them for two years unlike .com which only last the one.
My preference is .co.uk simply because I'm English. It seems more fitting. People tend to type in .com by default, they seem to think all websites have that address. So... if people are going to visit your site by typing into their address bar I'd try the .com (but then you have the issue of the extra M, will they know about that?). But if they're going to visit it by clicking a link in your signature or a link on another site then it really doesn't matter what you call it.

As for search engines, it makes no difference. Over than when you search for sites in specific countries.

Ferny, that's very interesting. As I said, I had a .co.uk, and I could only get that for one year at a time, while my .coms I can register for 2-10 years at a time. Very interesting.

I've tried contacting people as well. I did hear back from one once, and they wanted something insane like $10,000...F them I say.

There ae also other options, you know. There are .orgs, .nets, .tv, and a few others. I am not fond of them as people don't think of them (except maybe the .orgs).

I still say keep your eyes out for what you want and buy somehting in the meantime. You can always move things over, and you can always alias the old name for a while until people know you've switched.

Just my 2 cents (or 1/2 pence :) )

I really prefere the .co.uk's myself...looks a but...homelier...

I think itookyourphoto.com looks faceless and horrible compared to
itookyourphoto.co.uk (this is my website, not advertising) you see my point? I also think its obvious where your based and such things :)

I might go with the .co.uk for now. Prefer the.com still but that initial M will bug me as it ist used anywhere else on the site so it kinda shouts out 'the domain I really wanted was already taken' to me lol

I went for the co.uk, even more tempting as the company I used to host was offering a free co.uk domain with any hosting packages :)

I'll let you all know when there is something to view on the new site. Just in the process of resizing/saving all my images. The worst part of building the new site, zzzzzzz

from recent experience
i am designing a website for this company
what we have done is registered .com and .co.in (.in being India).
.co.in would be mentioned on their visiting cards/print material etc... but sometimes its easier for a person to remember .com off hand ... so we are re-directing the .com to the .co.in
.com is always easier... but if you are in the uk and you are getting the name of your choice with the .uk then go ahead with it :)

lol and i see that you've already gone with the .co.uk.. oops
well good luck :D

jocose said:
Ferny, that's very interesting. As I said, I had a .co.uk, and I could only get that for one year at a time, while my .coms I can register for 2-10 years at a time. Very interesting.

I've tried contacting people as well. I did hear back from one once, and they wanted something insane like $10,000...F them I say.

There ae also other options, you know. There are .orgs, .nets, .tv, and a few others. I am not fond of them as people don't think of them (except maybe the .orgs).

I still say keep your eyes out for what you want and buy somehting in the meantime. You can always move things over, and you can always alias the old name for a while until people know you've switched.

Just my 2 cents (or 1/2 pence :) )
That's very strange. Every single place I've looked at when thinking of getting a domain has only allowed you to buy .co.uk for two years and .com for one. It sounds like the place you were using was a bit suspect. I have noticed that if you register a country specific domain outside of that country you get charged a lot. Take a look at the box on the right. $99.95 a year for a .jp :shock:
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/tlds/cctlds.asp?se=+&tld=.tw

and...
http://www.uk-cheap-domains.co.uk/domaincheck.php
thephotoforum.co.uk is available Only £1.95!

thephotoforum.me.uk is available Only £1.95!

thephotoforum.org.uk is available Only £1.95!

thephotoforum.com is taken [view site] [whois]

thephotoforum.net is taken [view site] [whois]

thephotoforum.org is taken [view site] [whois]

thephotoforum.info is available Only £6.95!

thephotoforum.biz is available Only £6.95!

Shall I? :twisted: ;)

Those are all priced per year, but you can only buy them in two year contracts.

And here's a list of all UK based places which can register a domain. Not all will sell you one, but it's the list of people who have paid to be able to, even if it's just for themselves. Just keep going until you see one you like.
http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/members/list/

Ferny,

I typically use www.godaddy.com, which is a legit company. I live in the US, thus the .com and other US domains I can get for 2-10 years. I bought the .co.uk domain through a company I can't remember, but I think it may have been the offiicial releaser of the .uk domain (like register.com for the .coms).

We were trying to build a company that we hoped would have offices in DC and London. Alas, it never really got futher than me buying the domain names. I have since let the .co.uk name go, and come April, the .com will be history as well.

But, now I know if we want to try again, we need to get a brit to buy the .co.uk domain :)

Most reactions

Back