What to do when the client's backdrop disappear??

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For this senior shoot the client wanted it to be 'ghetto', so we went under a local bridge where there is always graffiti but the town had painted over the graffiti the previous night. What to do with the client and his mother on site? Take the shot and add the graffito during post-processing :0 Had to change the color-temp to match the new background but more importantly the client was delighted. Phew!

$senior-portrait-photography-by-Rhode-island-photographer-george-ross-1.jpg

Ummm.... might want to go for a do-over on that cutting mask; there's some pretty rough work around his right ear and the top of his head.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about using such a concept for senior photos. I feel like the story being told should be about new beginnings (sorry, Mish. Photo contest ruined...) and promise; not about ending up as a low-rent street "artist." If the client is paying, I get aiming to please... but I just don't think this works.

Regarding this specific photo, it's not in focus. That being said, the original looks better than the edit (the white balance changed a lot, there's a blue cast over the entire thing). Any others of this shot that are in focus?

I have a seen a fair number of high school senior photos done with graffiti backdrops...it's a new "thing". I personally think the composited-in graffiti looks better than that mossy-colored, ugly green concrete bridge footing (although I can see the selection needs some cleaning up around his head).

I have a seen a fair number of high school senior photos done with graffiti backdrops...it's a new "thing". I personally think the composited-in graffiti looks better than that mossy-colored, ugly green concrete bridge footing (although I can see the selection needs some cleaning up around his head).

OK, I am officially old. At least I think like I am.

Darn whippersnappers.

Darn whippersnappers.

Nope, that dog won't hunt.

Have you considered using a green screen instead? We use one from time to time. You can purchase CDs of backgrounds cheap. I like real muslin backgrounds better, but when the client wants someone different that you cant get in the field, the green screen works pretty good. Somewhere i have a portrait i did of a guy where i inserted a stock background of a train with graffiti on it. Came out looking nice.

The color is off. His shirt went from gray to blue. Skin tone should be skin tone, not blue. There's nothing wrong with the choice of backdrop. Graffiti is part of the grunge look that kids want.

why didn't you change the background WB to match his WB instead of the other way around? the shot is by far too blue for me.

and also lol at someone who pays for senior portraits but wants to look ghetto. when i was a kid we just rocked the proofs from the free school photographer.

I like the new color balance much better. It looks like under-the-bridge shade, instead of the "corrected so it looks like warm sunlight, except that it's obviously taken in shade so.. what the heck is going on here?" light.

Darn whippersnappers.

I have electrical appliances I bought new that are older than you are. :lmao:
My eldest son would probably tell you that ALL of my electrical appliances are older than you are--most of them ARE older than he is (which is 22, lol).

At any rate, I don't get it either--but I'd actually prefer to see the "look at me, I'm posing in front of graffiti" senior picture look than the walking down the railroad tracks pose. I *know* it's popular, but I really detest those shots. If I had a client who wanted a walking down the train tracks shot, I'd refuse to do it. But then, I don't actually HAVE clients, just a friend here and there that can't pay for a REAL photographer, lol. So I get to refuse to do it if I don't wanna. :lol:

Find a train parked anywhere, they always have graffiti

Yea the grunge look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back