What to do when the weather is bad?!?!

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! So, the weather has been terrible the last few days...it's cold, rainy, and not suitable for outdoor photography. But I still have the bug!!!! What are some other options I have? I don't have a studio, or lighting in my house, what else could I do?

Lighting in your house can be done with some desk lamps, you don't need to have anything ultra fancy (but it does help). Macro work can be fun, product concepts and so on.

Are there any indoor events you can go to?

I know what that's like for sure (of course it's raining in Seattle today). It's hard when the lighting is just flat, and the conditions aren't suitable for walking around outside, but sometimes the best thing to do when you can't shoot is just browse around for ideas. Surf flickr and develop concepts based on what you see others doing. Look at pro-photog's sites, magazines, etc. I just try to use my downtime to fuel new ideas and then when the time is good to shoot, I know what I want to do. If you've really got the itch to shoot, go to public places indoors and shoot people, architecture, etc. You could even rig up some generic lighting in your house like a DIY lightbox or something. I'm in your same shoes today and I don't have a clue of what I'll shoot, but I always manage to find something whether interesting or mundane. Good luck!

don't think he can go for the indoor events, he is sick
clear.gif

clear.gif

??? Am I missing something here?

Edit: I don't think he meant that bug. (if that's what you were talking about.)

I am in the same boat as you. I just got my XTi and it's been raining non stop here in California. I agree on doing some macro inside, not sure what else. I've just been browsing on here and sharpening up on some stuff.

You could always work on your editing skills.

You could always work on your editing skills.

That's what I do in times like that. Re-work my old photos and print whichever ones I haven't printed yet.

clear.gif

LOL No i meant I have the bug to shoot pictures ! LOL

Thank you all for the responses! Seriously, it helped a lot! I decided to take Sherman's advice, and spend time researching and studying up on various fundamentals. Hopefully in the next few days the weather will improve!

Thanks again, :D

EDIT: Interesting to see others are in the same situation...Photography's a drug!!! LOL

I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, so I've forgotten the concept of bad weather. However, Denver's Museum of Natural History is indoors. It's nice. The old train station downtown has some great photo ops. The art museum? The capitol building? Churches?

Head out to the porch with for some lightning captures, or maybe some rainy window scenes, rainbows, storm clouds rolling in....

Well, I could not take it and when the rain stopped for an instant, I went a snapped a few. They were REALLY out of focus, but here are just two that I took outside.

3495630164_653e9f5033.jpg

3495630372_165843fa2b.jpg

Now, this one I took inside my bedroom, where I tried to set up a bunch of lights. I don't think it's that great, but not horrible for my first 'lighting' attempt indoors.

3494807561_2807c2a8dc.jpg

Now, this one I took inside my bedroom, where I tried to set up a bunch of lights. I don't think it's that great, but not horrible for my first 'lighting' attempt indoors.

I think it's pretty good.

All 3 of them are pretty good.

I think it's pretty good.

All 3 of them are pretty good.

Thank you! I would really like to explore how to create better interior lighting without spending a lot of money.

As long as you can fix the white balance, it's easy - you probably already have everything you need. Probably won't really be suitable for shooting people (shutter speeds will be too slow), but for stuff like this it will be fine.

Most reactions

Back