Joeywhat
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Aug 9, 2013
- Messages
- 80
- Reaction score
- 19
- Location
- United States
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
I have a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 I got from my grandparents. It's a cool looking camera, but they left the batteries in there (for at least 10 years...) and it corroded the battery terminals and the terminal leading to the circuit board...there's also a couple solder points on the board with corrosion.
It all looks bad enough to not be worth repairing. I'm sure the camera is only worth $40 at best, and it's likely a good $100 to fix (just from my guesstimates). Removing the circuit board and getting new contacts and possibly a new resistor (which is what looks to be corroded on the board) looks to be quite in depth. I could probably do it myself but I don't know where I'd even get the terminals from.
So what should I do with this thing? It seems wrong to throw it away considering everything else is in fine condition. Is there anything I can use this for?
It all looks bad enough to not be worth repairing. I'm sure the camera is only worth $40 at best, and it's likely a good $100 to fix (just from my guesstimates). Removing the circuit board and getting new contacts and possibly a new resistor (which is what looks to be corroded on the board) looks to be quite in depth. I could probably do it myself but I don't know where I'd even get the terminals from.
So what should I do with this thing? It seems wrong to throw it away considering everything else is in fine condition. Is there anything I can use this for?
The link I provided was really more for the picture than the actual instructions. I didn't even READ the instructions. I'm having a friend make mine, and they are already quite skilled at converting different items into light fixtures. He is legally blind, but has been creating custom lamps and light fixtures for years, and is still able to do it despite his extremely limited vision.