What to do?

rsmaruba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Nikon D750. Looking for recommendations for a 70-200mm FX lens. Is there really much difference between a f2.8 and a f4 besides $$$. I've heard good things about Tamron. I would like Vibration Reduction capability. Any thoughts?

The difference is one stop. If you can make that up by using a slower shutter speed or higher ISO then it doesn't matter much. If you can't then it does matter. I haven't used the Tamron zoom so I can't comment. I'm not a fan of vibration reduction but most photographers are. Those are my thoughts.

Optically both the f4 and f2.8 are great lenses but the simple point is that you can shoot f4 with the f2.8 lens but you are stuck at max f4 with the slower one.
Shooting at f2.8 gives you an extra stop of light and that's A LOT!!! especially if you need this extra amount of light.
The new Nikon 70-200mm 2.8E is so insanely expensive and I don't really see a reason to buy it unless you have the money.
I would recommend the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC or the newer version the G2.
Both great lenses, yes the new one is better but to be honest the older VC is awesome too, I own the NON G2 and I LOVE IT!!!
Use it in weddings, trips, sports and portraits, its super sharp, great lens for such little money (relatively), the VC is very effective, Tamron makes the best in camera VC in the market.
Get the Tamron and don't look back, that's what I would do, you will be happy with it.

The f/4 lens will be easier to carry and easier to shoot with for longer periods of time. The f/4 lens is a superb l;ens, op[tically; most images shot at f/2.8 on a zoom len s are inferior in one way or another to those shot at f/5.6 to f/8...shallow DOF gets old pretty quickly...one eye in focus, one eye out of foocus: Hooray for f/2.8!!!!

The new 70-200 f/4 AF-S VR-G is a NICE lens!@

The NEW Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 lens is garnwering TERRIFIC reviews; The Angry Photographer (YouTube) gives it the Tamron 70-200G-2 model his Number One Best Value Lens rating!!!

Most of the raving about "f/2.8" and 70-200mm lenses is mostly leftover hype from the film era...PLENTY of situations will be better-handled by the f/4 model. NEW d-slr came3ras and astounding ISO 200,250,and 320 image quality have made an f/2.8 lens uneccessary; the ability to shoot at 12K to 24K ISO has made f/2.8 a NON-need in most instances...and besides, if you NEED to shoot in bad lighty, tyhere are plenty of f/1.4 to f/1.8 prime lenses.

Like Darrell, I would choose the f4 personally. One stop isn't that big a deal in the digital age and the smaller, lighter and less expensive model appeals to me more than the f2.8. I owned and used a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 in my Nikon days. I dreaded carrying it.

I have the new version of the Tamron 70-300 VC f/4-5.6 and love it. The VC (vibration control) gives back at least a stop, IMO. Here's a great comparison from That Nikon Guy:

Most reactions

Back