What to invest in first. Help please!

LHinkle90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just starting out with portrait photography. Just shooting friends and family trying to prepare to build a portfolio. Every once in a while one of my people insist on paying me. I am in this for fun all the way so any money I make on photography I want to put right back into it.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5. with an EF 18-55mm and an EF 75-300mm. I also have a backdrop stand and backdrop. Keeping in mind that my main focus is portrait photography what should I invest in next? I've got some DIY lighting equipment and I can definitely see an improvement in my photos when I use my cheapy stuff. Is that good enough or should I invest in some professional stuff? Or should I invest in more lenses? small stuff like filters, extra batteries, remotes?

Any advise appreciated!

Lights and reflectors and technique firstly will improve better than new lenses, especially in controlled studio type shots where you will likely be at f8. Of course lenses help in uncontrolled light or low light, with faster aperture lenses allowing shots not otherwise possible.

Go for lighting firstly imo

Lights and reflectors and technique firstly will improve better than new lenses, especially in controlled studio type shots where you will likely be at f8. Of course lenses help in uncontrolled light or low light, with faster aperture lenses allowing shots not otherwise possible.

what kind of lighting equipment do you suggest for mainly outdoor shoots?

What do you already have specifically?

What do you already have specifically?

There are a lot of options but do yourself a favor and whatever you buy, buy quality. Buying the same station two or three times because of inferior gear is both frustrating and embarrassing when it fails during a shoot.

Any advise appreciated!
Flash. (studio stobes and modifiers)

Your 75-300mm zoom will suffice until you get the flash conquered. I did not see a tripod in your list, so include that and a cable shutter release.

Good luck!

what kind of lighting equipment do you suggest for mainly outdoor shoots?
You can invest in battery-capable studio flash and their accompanying battery packs, or double the investment and get more speedlights (flashguns) but bear in mind that the flashguns do not have as much power as the studio flash, so that will limit you.

Start saving up for a decent studio flash (to be followed by a second and third unit) that is battery-capable. You can probably wait with the battery pack purchase until you get the money, but meanwhile start using a real strobe in your studio.

How much money are you willing to spend?
I don't have a ton to spend now. My next purchase can be about $300-$500 depending on how long I wait to purchase. Again I don't want to be super artsy I just want to be able to produce quality pictures for friends and family.

Check out this deal at Adorama, and I selected a price that should allow you enough money to purchase a tripod.

Get this and get started with portraiture:

Flashpoint M

Any advise appreciated!
Flash. (studio stobes and modifiers)

Your 75-300mm zoom will suffice until you get the flash conquered. I did not see a tripod in your list, so include that and a cable shutter release.

Good luck!
thanks so much! I do have a tripod. It is a cheapy but it has worked well for me for now I just use the timer when setting u pfor long exposures but a cable shutter release would definitely be nice.

thanks so much! I do have a tripod. It is a cheapy but it has worked well for me for now I just use the timer when setting u pfor long exposures but a cable shutter release would definitely be nice.
For portraiture, you won't be doing long exposures. The models move.

Most reactions

Back