What to keep, what to sell, what to buy?

bumpylemon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am selling my d3100. I am buying a d700. My question is what should I sell, buy, or keep? coming from a dx to a fx. I have the kit lens 15-55mm and the 200mm both VRs, booklet 85mm f/3. 5, nikon 50mm 1.8 sw prime, and a nikon 50mm 1.8d(selling). What fx lens can I get to use as my portrait lens? Thanks

my trinity primes will be fast 35, 85, 135 with my full frame sensor. A lot of wedding photographers shoot with only those 3 and maybe one UWA.

Maybe you're putting the cart before the horse? Why not spend some time accumulating good glass and then moving to a better body later on. The 'gold standards' in portrait lenses for the FF body are the 85mm 1.4 and the 105mm f2.8 DC; both north of a grand used.

money is no longer an issue. i was given a large some of money to produce a calender for a promotions company...a d3100 is not going to cut a high end process like that. lol.

money is no longer an issue. i was given a large some of money to produce a calender for a promotions company...a d3100 is not going to cut a high end process like that. lol.

Well, in that case, why not go for a D3s, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 105DC? Taxes in, that should wrap up just around 15K.

28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR II or 70mm - 300mm /4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR or NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED to start with? thanks alot i really appreciate it

Well, in that case, why not go for a D3s, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 105DC? Taxes in, that should wrap up just around 15K.

haha i wish. but cant make that jump. i need some profit!

What sort of things (types of subjects) and under what conditions (indoor/outdoor, studio-lit/natural lighting, day/night...) will you be shooting for this assignment?

they will be beach...in studio....mostly outdoors..they will be models.

Not trying to get all gangster and offensive on you, but weren't you just posting threads about having difficulty getting an entire person in focus during a portrait shoot, and didn't you just recently start shooting in December?

To me, it seems like there are a lot of newbies that are like "Hey I got my camera, but this one is more expensive so this will be better right?" and "Hey, I want to be a pro-wedding photographer, so I need 3 5D Mark II's and every lens in the L lineup, but I need to sell my Rebel XS which I got last month first."

Not trying to burst your bubble, but this happens a lot. On top of that, if you are somehow unable to deliver what this agency is expecting, you'll probably be ****ed. Take baby steps, and learn the fundamentals first.

Who knows, maybe I try too hard trying to get people to see that they're jumping the gun. Maybe I should just lay off and let this run it's course. Maybe I should...

:popcorn:

Not trying to get all gangster and offensive on you, but weren't you just posting threads about having difficulty getting an entire person in focus during a portrait shoot, and didn't you just recently start shooting in December?

To me, it seems like there are a lot of newbies that are like "Hey I got my camera, but this one is more expensive so this will be better right?" and "Hey, I want to be a pro-wedding photographer, so I need 3 5D Mark II's and every lens in the L lineup, but I need to sell my Rebel XS which I got last month first."

Not trying to burst your bubble, but this happens a lot. On top of that, if you are somehow unable to deliver what this agency is expecting, you'll probably be ****ed. Take baby steps, and learn the fundamentals first.

Who knows, maybe I try too hard trying to get people to see that they're jumping the gun. Maybe I should just lay off and let this run it's course. Maybe I should...

:popcorn:

you are totally right. i agree. but i figured out that problem and moved on. ive been doing 5 shoots a day and I blew up. so i can only imagine what i can do with better equipment. ive already done things for the company and they liked what I produced for them. am i new at this? yup. am I have the cost of every "pro" guy in town? yup? are they losing all their models to me and this new company? yup. so now its time for me to invest in them!

Reading what Tyler said, I had to go and check out your past threads. Just 2 months ago you were complaining "is this all my 800 collar camera can do?!" when it was user error. I sure hope this collection of expensive body + lenses will make your images any better. Camera bodies can fix iso performance, but it won't help your user errors.

Agreed, take your time and don't jump into this thing. That's my opinion anyways, and if they've actually seen what you're capable of taking and still agreed to pay you, go for it.

you are totally right. i agree. but i figured out that problem and moved on. ive been doing 5 shoots a day and I blew up. so i can only imagine what i can do with better equipment. ive already done things for the company and they liked what I produced for them. am i new at this? yup. am I have the cost of every "pro" guy in town? yup? are they losing all their models to me and this new company? yup. so now its time for me to invest in them!

Care to post these images from 5 shoots a day which made you 'blow up'? lol

Care to post these images from 5 shoots a day which made you 'blow up'? lol

i say blow up as in im making a lot of money now to be able to pay for camera supplies. and be booked all weekends for bar events. most are lingerie or nudes. which i do not know if they can go here. plus honestly i dont care what people think about every shot...people here tend to over critque to a point that is unfair. so im not looking for opinions. people that work with me love what i do so thats all that really matters. i do however learn so much from this site through other peoples works and critiques.

I think the promotions company needs to see this thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back