What to teach a beginner

The first thing I would explain would be about apertures, shutter speeds, ISO's and how they relate to proper exposure.

Jerry
With that camera? I dont think so. It is almost like telling someone about that with an iphone camera.

I was thinking he was wanting to teach him about photography not about that particular camera.

Jerry

Keith, in this post, http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/275338-2-new-spring-photos.html, referenced the PPA's (Professional Photographers of America) criteria for a Merit Image. This is as good a place to start as any. The very first item on that list was "impact", or the emotional effect on the viewer. If you have a P&S, you don't have much control over the technical aspects, but you do have control over things such as your viewing angle, your framing, your choice of light, the timing for taking an image, the subject matter, and the environment/context in which that subject is shot.

In discussing impact, you can also touch upon things such as simplicity, focus on one message (or theme), use of symmetry or balance, and creating s sympathetic link between the subject in the image, and the viewer. The use of isolation is a form of simplicity, allowing the subject to be isolated from its context so that we can appreciate it on its own merits. Of course, the techniques available to a good photographer with the right tools (a DSLR, for instance), will make the task easier, but even a P&S (or a cell phone camera for that matter) should be able to capture images of interest.

Personally, I would focus on cultivating a sense of "seeing". This book is an excellent guide for exploring this subject. Freeman Patterson : Photography and the Art of Seeing..
Another approach is to try something like this: The Beginners' Lens

And most of all, have fun!

Keith, in this post, http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/275338-2-new-spring-photos.html, referenced the PPA's (Professional Photographers of America) criteria for a Merit Image. This is as good a place to start as any. The very first item on that list was "impact", or the emotional effect on the viewer. If you have a P&S, you don't have much control over the technical aspects, but you do have control over things such as your viewing angle, your framing, your choice of light, the timing for taking an image, the subject matter, and the environment/context in which that subject is shot.

In discussing impact, you can also touch upon things such as simplicity, focus on one message (or theme), use of symmetry or balance, and creating s sympathetic link between the subject in the image, and the viewer. The use of isolation is a form of simplicity, allowing the subject to be isolated from its context so that we can appreciate it on its own merits. Of course, the techniques available to a good photographer with the right tools (a DSLR, for instance), will make the task easier, but even a P&S (or a cell phone camera for that matter) should be able to capture images of interest.

Personally, I would focus on cultivating a sense of "seeing". This book is an excellent guide for exploring this subject. Freeman Patterson : Photography and the Art of Seeing..
Another approach is to try something like this: The Beginners' Lens

And most of all, have fun!

First of all Thank you very much for the links and the advice it is very helpful but I have one more question...Who's Keith?

Ah, "Keith" is KmH, our new site moderator, and a purveyor of much good and useful advice and information. He has thoughfully given me a number of links and book suggestions that I am still working my way through.

Ok I was wondering because I quickly looked through the posts and so no mention of a keith and I was a bit confused

I would start with the basics. Get them to understand the function of the camera first and what everything does. Most DSLR are pretty similiar so getting him to understand your camera will help him out when or if he decides to upgrade from a point and shoot. I know my biggest thing was understanding the camera. Once I understood the camera things start to come together a lot better for me.

jriepe said:
I was thinking he was wanting to teach him about photography not about that particular camera.

Jerry

It's kind of hard to teach someone about the technical aspects of photography when the camera he's using doesn't support some of the most universal camera functions.

I could tell someone about how to build a car all day, but without actually building one the chances of him learning the skill is slim

rexbobcat said:
I could tell someone about how to build a car all day, but without actually building one the chances of him learning the skill is slim

Lol they can still build models cars, and apply that same TLC to a real one when opportunity comes :).

Photography encompasses at least seven different skill sets:
1) Seeing (recognizing an image possibility, or being able to put aside all lables that we usually use)
2) Composition (arrangement of elements in the image)
3) Timing (catching the critical moment)
4) Lighting (using light to illuminate the image, and/or provide the appropriate shadow elements)
5) Engagement (how to get your live subjects to open up to the camera)
6) Technical (using the camera settings and accessories to actually make the image)
7) Post-processing (Developing and manipulating the image to achieve the artistic goals of the photographer)

The ones that rely on equipment/tools are #4, #6, and #7. That still leaves #1, #2, #3 and #5 that don't need a specific set of tools, and can be learned or practiced with any recording tool, from pin-hole camera to cell phones to P&S to (D)SLR's. The challenge in elevating the image from snapshot to a work of art, is to learn to evoke emotion, and that is not determined by the technical stuff.

To a certain extent, the focus on tools is understandable. We are a materialistic society, and the various manufacturers all want to convince us that the only thing standing between us and our dreams is more equipment. And we, as consumers, desperately want to believe that if we only had the latest gadget, we'd be shooting world-class images. If only it was so easy. If that was true, then there should be a direct correlation between one's bank account and one's imagery. But it doesn't work that way. It is true that the truly talented gravitate to the best equipment, but it's not the equipment that gave them the tools and skills to conceive or perceive an image.

My advice is, learn to see, and find the appropriate tools to capture the image. But learn to see.

I believe the best way to learn photography is through film. Old DSLRs or rangefinders, fully manual and with mechanic settings, are perfect tools for learning, imo.

I believe the best way to learn photography is through film. Old DSLRs or rangefinders, fully manual and with mechanic settings, are perfect tools for learning, imo.

Well, yes and no. The benefit of using film is that the "spray and pray" technique doesn't work very well. You do have to pay attention to the fundamentals, meter the light properly, set the aperture and shutter speed appropriate to the situation. But it also requires that you write down what you did (no EXIF with film), so that later, when you are looking at the results, you can relate the cause (the settings you used) to the effect you see. This is especially problematic when you are trying to learn flash, as you also need to record the flash power setting, the direction of the head, the type and amount of modifiers, etc.

To me, the key benefit of digital is the acceleration of the learning curve - you see the results immediately. Any teacher will tell you that the quicker is the feedback, the quicker is the learning experience. In addition, we get tools such as the histogram that changes the way you analyze the image from a technical point of view. The negative aspect of digital is the reduced need to think about things - you can chimp your way to an acceptable exposure without really understanding how or why certain things work. This is clearly manifested in the fully auto P&S cameras that give decent images, and convince the "photographer" that they "know" photography.

What we are often seeing in the postings on the beginner forum is that people's focus on getting the technical stuff right (exposure, focus, sharpness), comes at the expense of using the medium for expression of meaning, feeling or engagement. Really, mastering the equipment is baby steps. Mastering the (visual) language to communicate effectively... that's the real challenge.

I agree with pgriz, however a key aspect to "seeing" is recognizing and actively seeking "good light". This is totally different than "4. Lighting".

Especially while teaching someone on a P&S, finding great light will be not only inspiring to the person but will make there images technically better from the get-go. While learning anything can look good in the right light. My first formal photography assignment years ago was to photograph an egg with natural light. The only way to draw out the texture and detail was to put that egg in some really amazing light.

Later when they advance into using supplementary light sources they will know what great light looks like. This should greatly help them translate artificial light into mimicking what natural light would feel like.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/68030.html

Hello Everyone, I have a friend who has a deep interest in photography but knows very little except that enjoys the feeling of taking photos. He doesn't have a camera so I gave him my old Canon Powershot A490. It has an Automatic and a Program Mode on it. I myself, feel that I am an intermediate photographer so I decided to teach him what I know. I probably want to teach him composition first but I am unsure. If you are/were to teach a beginner what would be the first thing that you taught them and then what would you move onto?

let them go out on there own and get use to the camera. See what they capture and go from there. You will see how they are doing with basics like framing which is key. Then tell them to go get an slr so you can actually teach them something worth learning.

Lighting is key too. You can teach them what is good and bad light and what are good and bad times of the day to go out and take pics.

Last edited:
Nice reglections, griz. Either way, the teachee must get out if the point an shoot philosophy, and into the think and shoot way of thinking. That's why I like to call film cameras TS cameras and digital ones PS cameras.
(a bit on the edge, perhaps)

Most reactions

Back