What tripod?

LawrenceChiu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would rather have a cheap camera and lens on a rock solid tripod than the best camera and lens on a $45 Tripod AND Ball Head. Frankly, I would not waist your money on a tripod so cheap. It will wear out in no time and you will find that it isnt much steadier than hand held.

^^ Couldn't agree more. I once owned a 40 dollar tripod that I thought was an incredible value... until one day it tipped over (on a hill with something like a 5 degree tilt...) and broke my camera. Then 40 dollars really = a new 700$ camera

Once I got my new camera my grandfather gave me his old tripod (rocking the 70's tripod now) and it is built like a stone column! I would put a baby on it and not be afraid of it falling over in a hurricane!

Do not purchase that tripod if you value your gear.

I'm looking for a new durable and reliable tripod off from Amazon or somewhere else.
Somewhere in the mid $50 range to $100 that isn't too heavy to carry around to events. I have the Canon T3i with a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens (heaviest equipment I have)
I was thinking about this tripod: Amazon.com: Ravelli Professional 65" Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

Any other recommendations?
Thanks.

Wait... What?

Please don't strap 2k+ in gear to a $50-$100 tripod. If you do, please make sure your home owner's policy includes adequate coverage and your expectations of image quality are appropriately low...

In all seriousness, please read http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

If, afterwards, you still want what you want now, then God be with you. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well... I probably wont strap the 70-200mm on that tripod, I'll most likely use a monopod for it.
I just need a simple tripod for like the 3 pound 17-50mm tamron f/2.8 lens since I feel like my heavy duty tripod is just too extreme to take for simple events, especially a walk around the park or something.

My advice would be to not buy a New tripod, buy a Slik 88 from ebay and change the head to a manfrotto 168 ballhead. Manfrotto 190 legs are also a good but second hand. Second hand slik tripods are always a good buy.

Personally I use a Sunpak. I got it for about $80 at bestbuy. Not the greatest tripod but it is heavy and sturdy. If you have the money Manfrotto is a better way to go and you can get better movement from the head and legs. That would be about $200-300 depending on which model you got.

Well... I probably wont strap the 70-200mm on that tripod, I'll most likely use a monopod for it.

That's not how your first post sounded...

I just need a simple tripod for like the 3 pound 17-50mm tamron f/2.8 lens since I feel like my heavy duty tripod is just too extreme to take for simple events, especially a walk around the park or something.

Regardless, I still wouldn't trust my equipment on a $50 tripod. I'd rather shoot without a tripod. I have a gripped 5D1 and the majority of tripods can't even support the weight of that without tilting over in one direction or another.

You'd really be throwing money away and wishing that you'd got a better one very soon after getting this one.

I think everyone goes through this until they learn first hand. Those cheap tripods make look, feel and appear to be sturdy, until you use them a bit. Then set them up in a bit of wind. Then you will find out just how "CHEAP" they are. Trust those of us that have been there. A $50 tripod is not much better than hand held and in many cases, worse. Click your camera on... walk away for a second... the tripod falls... camera lands on the lens front and you just trashed your $500 lens. Could have bought a top of the line tripod for that. Now you have to by another tripod AND lens.

I like a carbon manfrotto with good head
teethsmile.gif

My Manfrotto 055xprob with 498 ball head takes a gripped Canon 40D + Tokina 11-16/2.8 setup without much problems. That is a wide angle, so movements aren't as visible as they will be on 50mm, and even more pronounced on 200mm. The head keeps the gear in place (though it slips just a little when tightening and letting the camera go), and the legs are sturdy on most surfaces. A little slippery on wet rocks with green stuff on, but I suppose most will be.

Just don't buy a cheapo tripod, you'll regret it.

My Manfrotto 055xprob with 498 ball head takes a gripped Canon 40D + Tokina 11-16/2.8 setup without much problems. That is a wide angle, so movements aren't as visible as they will be on 50mm, and even more pronounced on 200mm. The head keeps the gear in place (though it slips just a little when tightening and letting the camera go), and the legs are sturdy on most surfaces. A little slippery on wet rocks with green stuff on, but I suppose most will be.

indeed.

That's what I bought. Save your $100 until its $400 and go get it, you will be much happier.

JM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back