What type of camera?

Riverlake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting a DSLR camera soon.

I need to be able to photograph people, scenery, and sports.

I need to be able to photograph Auto Racing, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, Football, Rugby, Baseball, and Basketball.

I need to be able to photograph scenery, Auto Racing, Soccer, and Baseball at night.

I need to be able to photograph Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, and Basketball in buildings with very poor lighting.

I also need to be able to take photos that are good enough to get me employment photographing local, national, and international sporting events.

What type of camera should I get?

First things first, what is your budget? Secondly, a fast body would be best, I think that 5 fps would suffice. Also, for those indoor shots, you'll need fast glass, and probably decent high ISO performance. You'll need quite a bit of money.

What type of camera should I get?
You should get a camera that will accept good lenses...because the lens will matter a lot more than the camera for the type of shooting that you have listed.

My mom told me that the budget will be whatever is necessary because I'm going to make photography my career after high school.

Well, with that budget, not much can be done. However, I would go with an XTi or even XT (I say this because a D80 would be good, but then the lens quality is limited, and the D40 does not AF with all lenses). Then buy the fastest zoom you can afford. I say zoom because it will suit you the best for all the sports you shoot.

please reply.

Spend a year focusing on composition with what you have or can borrow within the family. Spend your money on film/developing/printing/framing.

Spend a few hours a week on this forum until you are familiar with formats (don't assume 35mm is the end-all), brands and lenses. A year of this and you won't need to ask the question, which is really a personal question.

Note what equipment others are using. Once you amass some basic knowledge you will be in a much better position to make wise choices about equipment and avoid a beginner's outfit which you regret.

Since lenses aren't interchangeable between brands, that first outfit often tends to be a lifetime decision.

just ran across this post which is typical of the reason why I recommend biding your time.
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118723

A Canon 40D (because it has a 6.5 FPS) and a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM :) and maybe a 100-400mm L lens...
It will be a little expensive :p

Is it good for sports and night and is it difficult to learn how to use?

Is it good for sports and night and is it difficult to learn how to use?

I think you may need to refocus and do some more research if you are asking this type of question. But, the 70-200 should/may suffice for night shots if the sports field is well lit, may not be long enough for some sports. The 100-400 will be very good for well lit sunnydays outside. Is it difficult to use? Just read the manual and see for yourself. Not too difficult.

What's the difference between 70-200 and 100-400?

What's the difference between 70-200 and 100-400?
If you have to ask this, you probably aren't ready to be spending thousands of dollars on photopraphy equipment. Go read some books, spend some time on this forum, and get to know how everything works. If you don't know the difference between 70-200mm and 100-400mm then you shouldn't be buying either.

If you have to ask this, you probably aren't ready to be spending thousands of dollars on photopraphy equipment. Go read some books, spend some time on this forum, and get to know how everything works. If you don't know the difference between 70-200mm and 100-400mm then you shouldn't be buying either.

I agree. However, to help you learn more, those numbers are the distance that the focal point of the lens is away from the camera's sensor. The larger the number, the farther away the focal point, the more "reach" you get with the lens.

Most reactions

Back