What type of camera?

I'm getting a DSLR camera soon.

I need to be able to photograph people, scenery, and sports.

I need to be able to photograph Auto Racing, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, Football, Rugby, Baseball, and Basketball.

I need to be able to photograph scenery, Auto Racing, Soccer, and Baseball at night.

I need to be able to photograph Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, and Basketball in buildings with very poor lighting.

I also need to be able to take photos that are good enough to get me employment photographing local, national, and international sporting events.

What type of camera should I get?

You asked:

3 Canon 1D MIII bodies = $4,099.95 each
6 Canon LP-E4 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery = $119.95 each
1 Canon 16-35 f2.8L = $1450.00
1 Canon 24-70 f2.8L = $1139.00
1 Canon 70-200f2.8L IS = $1699.00
1 Canon 200 f2L = $3,500.00 (approximate expected street price)
1 Canon 300 f2.8L = $3899.00
1 Canon 400 f2.8L = $6,500.00
1 Canon 600 f4L = $7200.00
1 Canon EF 1.4X Extender II = $279.95
1 Canon EF 2.0X Extender II = $279.95
1 Canon 85 f1.8 = $339.00
1 Canon 135 f2.0L = $899.95
3 Canon EX 580 II Strobes = $420.00 each
2 Gitzo GM5540 monopods = $339.00 each
3 Quantum Turbo II packs = $499.00 each

This is just a basic starter kit. There are lots more items you will need on top. Grand total is....................

$44,526.57

Perhaps a bit of study and reflection is in order. Unless you have $45,000.00 in pocket change lying around.

now all the sudden, the money tree is blooming.

Sounds like Jr. told the old folks how it's gonna be.

I recommend doing what I just did, and what I'm sure a lot of people on here have done. Do your homework, research the features and functions of various camera bodies and lenses before asking such questions. Search the internet for answers, because the answers are out there. And usually, someone else has asked the same questions you've asked. Check out product reviews from sites that aren't biased (i.e.-trying to sell you the product) and narrow down your choices. Then, when you've got your priorities in order, list them in order of importance and look for gear that'll get you the results you want.

I need to be able to photograph people, scenery, and sports.
I need to be able to photograph Auto Racing, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, Football, Rugby, Baseball, and Basketball.
I need to be able to photograph scenery, Auto Racing, Soccer, and Baseball at night.
I need to be able to photograph Ice Hockey, Box Lacrosse, Curling, and Basketball in buildings with very poor lighting.
I also need to be able to take photos that are good enough to get me employment photographing local, national, and international sporting events.

What type of camera should I get?

Quite needy aren't we? (Not to mention repetitive.) You could do this with anything from an XT to a 1Ds Mark III. What you're after is not a particular camera (although the XT, XTI, and XsI wouldn't be as good because of their low frames per second), but a particular type of lens(es). (Something you would have found out if you did your homework...or just listened to what people are saying when they reply to you.)

According to your demands, you'll need:
  • A long zoom or fixed telephoto lens
  • A medium-wide zoom or fixed-focus lens
  • A solid tripod and monopod
  • A good flash (or set of flashes)
  • About $10,000 (or 45 G's if you go all out)

Not to mention these lenses need to have image stabilization and an f-stop rating of 2.8 at worst. Take the advice lots of people just gave me.

Get a solid body that'll doesn't have all the bells and whistles available and get ONE lens (only one to start) that will give you a good middle-of-the-road focus range and see what your next lens will be based on if you always seem to need to zoom in or out more. I just got the Canon 20D (used on eBay with lots of extras) and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and I'm pumped to use it. (Nikon is good too, I've just been hit with brand loyalty since I was very young from my dad and his Canon FTb.)

However, since you're more into sports photography, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM might be better for you first. Or since it appears that the Bank of Mom and Dad are financing your gear, you might be able to swing both.

And remember, this is just my opinion. Take everyone's opinion in perspective with what you really want to shoot. Don't snap at people for trying to help, as you've been doing, because then people really could care less if you get the right gear.

And I'm tired of typing so that's where I'm going to end. :)

~Jeff

For a better way of stating what I was talking about, here's what someone on another discussion board told me:

Lens selection is a very individual choice, tied intimately to the subjects you shoot, the conditions in which you shoot, and your personal working practices and preferences.

There is no right answer to the question of "what lens(es) should I get" at this point.

A far better strategy, unless you already have a lot of photography experience under your belt and have developed specific opinions based on that experience, is to start slow and learn "your style" before you spend a lot of money.

I strongly recommend that you start with something like the EFS 18-55mm image- stabilized kit lens and shoot a few thousand frames. As you do this you'll begin to acquire the skills, knowledge, and stylistic preferences that will lead you to the most appropriate lenses to add to your collection.

Buying them now without that and/or on the recommendation of other photographers may well lead to some very expensive mistakes. The lenses will still be for sale in a few months - and you'll be a much smarter shopper at that point.

Also, before you dive into such an investment, learn more about photography. Some technical terms, how to compose your photos better, and research. From the sound of some of your posts, you haven't done too much of this. If you have, that is great, and I apologize for this.

What the heck is going on here? Please explain!

Below is a link to where you're being EXTREMELY difficult, saying that you have no money to buy any type of camera... now all the sudden, the money tree is blooming.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116846

Circumstances changed. I also have another update which is that my mom's budget for buying me a camera is around $1200. I was looking at cameras tonight and someone explained stuff so I think I understand the technical stuff better. My mom originally wasn't going to get me a camera until 2009 when I'd need it for school, but I just got a job this week where I have to photograph some sports at night each week for most of the summer.

I only posted that a budget wasn't a concern because I wanted to learn about different cameras.

So what's your final budget? If it's $1200, then I would think an XT/XTi or a D40 with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8; the Canon and Nikon versions are too expensive (on this budget). That would probably be the best option if the majority of your shooting is going to be sports, especially at night. Any longer lens and you'll be sacrificing quality and low-light performance, or spending several thousand extra.

No one picked up on this?

That statement is completely bogus!

Oops! Sorry for that, what I meant was that with the budget, (it was low in the beginning), if the OP purchased a D80, then the remaining funds for lenses would not be very high, leaving the OP with few options for good quality lenses, which the OP needs for his/her demands.

No one picked up on this?

That statement is completely bogus!

I thought about that too, but then I realized what Buszaj meant to say so I didn't respond.

My bad. Must not have taken the full context, but when I saw that the tiny littles hairs on my neck.......... :lol:

Circumstances changed. I also have another update which is that my mom's budget for buying me a camera is around $1200. I was looking at cameras tonight and someone explained stuff so I think I understand the technical stuff better. My mom originally wasn't going to get me a camera until 2009 when I'd need it for school, but I just got a job this week where I have to photograph some sports at night each week for most of the summer.

I only posted that a budget wasn't a concern because I wanted to learn about different cameras.

Oh, I guess that kind of kills the recommendation that I made earlier. Kind of shoots that National and International Sporting Events thing too I'm thinking. $1200 isn't going to get you anywhere near Monaco for the Grand Prix, Wimbledon or Beijing this summer.

Look, I'm not trying to kill your dream here, but before you go spending mom's money blindly it might be a good idea to do a little real work on your own instead of asking for others to educate you. Go to the library, go to a book store and do some research if you want to get into sports photography. It is a demanding field that not everyone is cut out for. A good book for the person interested in trying their hand is Digital Sports Photography by Serge Timacheff and David Karlins. It talks about virtually every major sport and the types of equipment that is recommended as well as how to get results for shooting the various sports.

If this isn't some whim then you will make the effort to really learn about the discipline instead of just tossing someone else's money away to try it out. I got into this at 16 in 1971 with a used Nikon F and three decent Nikkor lenses. Difference was I did my research and knew I was serious for one simple reason. It was MY hard earned money that I had been saving since I was 14 working a lot of dirty jobs that bought all of that used gear from a photography shop. I had a stake in what I was doing because in 1971 $528.00 was a lot of money to a 16 year old. Other kids were buying good used cars for that kind of money.

soooo don't you have an upcoming baseball tournament to do? There's a starting point... get your Canon XT or Nikon D40 w/ a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 like Buszaj recommended and go shoot that baseball tourney.

I'm still photographing that baseball tournament.

I just got a Nikon D200 that I bought secondhand from a local professional photographer. I also got a 70-300mm lens.

Most reactions

Back