What type of lens is this?

mojer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello: I am making the switch from digital point and shoot to SLR. I just got back from vacation (Disney World) and noticed that more and more people are getting into SLR cameras. I also noticed this particular type
of lens being used everywhere. What type of lens is this with the end of the lens having the cut outs? Thanks

It's a wide-angle lens with a constant aperture. I wouldn't recommend this lens to you, because from what it looks like, you're not familiar with the technical aspects of photography, and this lens is kinda pricey. But I guess it depends on what kind of photos you are planning to take.

Thanks - I just saw lots and lots of people with this type of lens. What would be the practical use for this type of lens? Thanks again!

Mostly landscape shots, maybe full-body portraits.

There are actually a lot of lenses that have a hood like that. Is it possible that it could have been a different lens with that kind of hood?

what is the benefit of using this type of hood - what does it do?

What you're describing isn't a lens, It's a lens hood. They're meant to block the sun's rays and spurious glare, to keep them from entering the inside of the lens barrel and causing spots and reflections.

Some have the cut out areas like the one you showed. Some are even all the way round with no cutouts.

Generally, the ones with cut outs are for wide angle lenses.

Useful outdoors in bright light. Pretty much useless any other time.

Many people will keep them on the lens though, because they think it makes them look more professional or something.

When using the camera's built in flash, however, a lens hood can cause problems because it sticks up high enough to block some of the light coming from the flash.

....so this is an attachment that is placed on the lens that can be removed? Thanks

Actually, The hood would slide forward for use, and when you wanted to take pictures that you didn't need it for, you could slide the hood back over the lens barrel.

Some people keep they're lens hood on, (Even if they don't need it for the pictures) to help protect the lens in case they bump it against the wall or something. People like me who are paranoid of hurting they're gear they have saved up for a long time.

Just think of the lens hood as a baseball cap to keep light out of your eyes. The hood usually (from my experiences at leased) doesn't do anything to the picture if you don't need it...Unless your using on camera flash I guess, it could make a shadow

Thats a Nikkor 14-24mm lens. Its about $1600 for this lens alone. Since it is a 14-24mm its for anything that you need to capture wide. This lens is also made for a full frame camera like a Nikon D3. On anything other than a D3, it is an equivalent of about 21-36mm.

I doubt you saw this exact lens very often... its not out that long and it is a top end lens that is sometimes hard to find in stock. It was near impossible to find out about 4 months ago. You likely did see something similar. Nikkor's pro level or top end lenses all have that gold ring.

Are you sure you are talking about this lens or that lens hood? Lens hoods are common as heck anytime you are outisde on bright days with a camera. The lens you have a pic of is quite the top of the line lens and not all that common.

Everything sandspur said.

I like petal type hoods sometimes because they make it a little easier to manipulate filters as opposed to full hoods.

The "cut outs" of the petal hood are to reduce vignetting that would outher wise be caused by a full hood blocking out the light. Usually longer telephotos have the full hoods and most lenses under 200mm use petal hoods.

Most reactions

Back