what type of lens?

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
what type of lens should i be using to get pictures of birds and other "far away" things, i used my moms 70-200 (i think, i know it was ?-200mm) but in the pics of the birds i took today the birds were still pretty small (i was about 25-35ft. away from them and zoomed all the way in?

this is for a d70

should i look into a telephoto lens or just a bigger lens?

thanks in advance

andreag5,

What exactly do you mean by a telephoto lens or just a bigger lens?

A telephoto lens will bring far away things "closer" (fill up the frame). You might want to think about something in the 300-400mm range with the fastest possible aperture you can afford. f/5.6 will be cheaper, f/4 would be nice :D

Nikon has a lot of lens offerings, but I'm a canon user and don't have a specific lens suggestion.

Hope this helps.

That can be a handy little site can't it Hertz? I found it the other day to. :)

A telephoto lens is exactly what PrimaryCanary said. When people say bigger/longer they just mean a higher number. So 400mm is longer/bigger than 200mm.

I can't give you specific advice on what lenses to buy. I don't shoot birds of own a dslr. I can give you this link though. He's a great photographer from Canada (nice guy to) and he gives you the focal length of the lens he used for each picture. It may help you get an idea of what each lens can do. He's a Canon user, but it all means the same when you're talking about focal lengths.
http://gallery.bytephoto.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=87&cat=500

Most reactions

New Topics

Back