WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THESE PHOTOS--FOR ADVICE PLEASE

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?!
YOU NEED FASTER SHUTTER SPEEDS THAN THAT!!!

;)

I think it's more or less the photographer metered the wrong spot... :D

there is no such thing as the wrong spot.

Yes there is. If you spot meter off of part of a scene, and your photo comes out like one of these, you were metering off the wrong spot, or using the meter incorrectly.

It's not a matter of metering the wrong spot, it's a matter of not using the correct exposure. You can meter anywhere.

(I know that you know that)

I know you can meter anywhere, but it just seemed kind of silly to me that people were arguing over metering the "right" or the "wrong" spot, or that there's no correct spot at all.

What I was saying is that if he didn't get the exposure he desired, then in his mind (or maybe in others) he metered off of the "wrong" spot for the situation. At least in my eyes, if he metered in the spot that gave him an acceptable exposure, that would have been the "right" spot.

But I do see what you're saying.

These shots are the exact reason that Spot metering is so dangerous for so many shooters; they pop the camera into Spot, shoot a scene, then forget about it. If they shoot in Auto modes mostly, and do not review their pics immediately after each shot, they can go along shooting in Spot meter mode and blow exposures one after another. I've seen it happen. Hell, I DID IT one time!!

That's why I keep my camera set to matrix and have a function button configured to spot meter when needed.

I exclusively use spot mode.

---

In this image, I would have metered off the shirt and provided one stop compensation - but only because my camera's meter is calibrated to 12%. If I were using an 18% meter I'd expose at null.

Did this thread really need to continue for 3 pages just because he overexposed two pictures?

the image is jpeg, un cropped, its left your choice to edit or not sparky

Flickr does not allow downloads.

Surely you don't expect us to work with such a tiny little image saved from a screenshot.

I just tried an edit but those hotspots are clipped on the forehead and cheeks. A raw edit would easily bring them back but jpg just won't do it without creating new areas of texture which is more effort than I want to put into it.

Still no see it.

I just tried an edit but those hotspots are clipped on the forehead and cheeks. A raw edit would easily bring them back but jpg just won't do it without creating new areas of texture which is more effort than I want to put into it.

thanks a lot, the edit doesnt require that much effort.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back