WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THESE PHOTOS--FOR ADVICE PLEASE

jkzo said:
may be with the 2nd one. but the spot metering was done straight into the face of the subject in the 1st one

Did you just 0 the meter out on the face of the 1st one?

Did you shoot RAW? If so, the first one is actually a very good exposure, just light - you have good detail in the shadows though and the highlights appear more than recoverable. To tell you the truth, this is about how I'd expose this image - knowing I would make it darker in processing.

The second though is far too light and is over exposed.

Did you shoot RAW? If so, the first one is actually a very good exposure, just light - you have good detail in the shadows though and the highlights appear more than recoverable. To tell you the truth, this is about how I'd expose this image - knowing I would make it darker in processing.

The second though is far too light and is over exposed.

i didnt shoot in RAW

jkzo said:
may be with the 2nd one. but the spot metering was done straight into the face of the subject in the 1st one

Did you just 0 the meter out on the face of the 1st one?

yes

Your subject's skin tone should have been accurate at this meter, but for whatever reason it over exposed by about 1/2 to 1 stop. Is it possible that the mustache may have offset your reading?

If i were you, i would use manual ( M ) property of D3100...I would try f/2.8 and shutter speed between 1/1000-1/2000, and would focus the man's face not the left side, his face, lips, eyes are flu...I would never use 1/8 shutter that is why i have the daylight, and if i have a lens which has f/2.8 i never try f/11 for portraits....You can take a river photo with these values i mean f/11 shutter 1/8 and you will see the difference...
you will have a photo like that --->Sadalmelek Photographe's Photos | Facebook

I have taken these photos with d3100, tamron 17-50 f 2.8.
the photo #1 taken in manual mode by with aperture at f/11 the metering for exposure is in spot mode and after focussing the shutter speed was set at 1/8 for correct exposure

DSC_0059 by jkzo, on Flickr
can somebody edit the photo for me​

the photo #1 taken in manual mode by with aperture at f/11 the metering for exposure is in spot mode and after focussing the shutter speed was set at 1/8 for correct exposure​

Ok. Well. I guess you just want me to spell it out for you. The shutter speed should have been 1/10 - 1/15 at f:11.

:er:

the photo #1 taken in manual mode by with aperture at f/11 the metering for exposure is in spot mode and after focussing the shutter speed was set at 1/8 for correct exposure​

Ok. Well. I guess you just want me to spell it out for you. The shutter speed should have been 1/10 - 1/15 at f:11.

:er:

thanks for your advice

So yes shnookums. You can use spot metering in any situation, it's just a matter of understanding zone placement.

...and if you don't understand that, like the OP, then it is quite easy to meter off the wrong thing. Thus choosing an incorrect spot to meter from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back