What would you buy a 10 year old who wants to get into photography?

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My youngest son has asked for a new camera for Christmas... I'm a little torn on what to get him so i thought i'd ask for some advice. He would like something with more control then the point-and-shoot he has now. He's also asked for something with interchangeable lenses :confused:.

My concerns are...

1) he's 10.. and while he's very responsible with his stuff.. he's still only a 10 year old kid.
2) he FLIPPED out over the new Fuji X-E1. He wants a 'sweet retro looking camera' (i said he's 10 right?)
3) He got bored with his current camera after learning about shutter, aperture, iso... etc.
4) He wants to be on the sidelines with me when i shoot his brothers High School football games.

I've got a few ideas..

Used Nikon D80 -
Pros: $300 used, I have a bag of lenses he can 'borrow'.
Cons: Big and bulky. He'll want to borrow my higher end lenses (10 year old with 70-200 f/2.8 = bad idea)

Older Olympus PEN camera -
Pros: An older E-PL1 can be had for $260 (Adorama.. etc). Small, semi-retro-ish.
Cons: No viewfinder. He'd want a longer zoom eventually.

Nikon v1 -
Pros: I could borrow it. Newer system.
Cons: Not sure a 10 year old should have a $600 camera. I think there are better options.

I'm looking for other ideas... What do you guys think?

Not knowing what he had... I would recommend a Bridge camera, if you think he is serious enough about it. Like the Canon SX40.

How about a Nikon P510? He will get the zoom he needs without the interchangeable lens. Which is the reason he wants them in the first place right? It isnt retro, but I dont think 1 single camera meets everything he wants, or you would have gotten that already.

What about Fuji x10. It is retro with manual controls and a fixed lens. Not sure if its in the budget though.

Ok, it depends on what kind of kid he is.

When you tell a kid that something is very expensive, very important and you are offering it to him to handle, that kid is going to be way more careful than any adult would be.

That said, it has to be absolutely precious to him, not something he take for granted. So it's job on you, how you've raised him and how you present this matter to him.

I've let kids from my school ( kindergarten to 3rd graders) run around a festival with my D700. They know it's precious and they really made sure it was fine.

... Like the Canon SX40.
How about a Nikon P510? He will get the zoom he needs without the interchangeable lens.
Those are closer to a D80 or D70 DSLR in size and price.. I think size is going to be an issue. He won't want to be running around Disneyland with a large camera for example.. I think a m4/3 would be a better size.

Which is the reason he wants them in the first place right?.
You'd think.. but no.. he's 10.. lenses that come off are 'cool'. It's the same reason all my Nikon lenses are 'crap' because they are not white 'like the ones they use in the NFL'.. again.. he's 10 :)

What about Fuji x10. It is retro with manual controls and a fixed lens.
Oooh.. that is a great option. It's on the high price side (Nikon v1 range).. but its added to the short list.

Ok, it depends on what kind of kid he is.

When you tell a kid that something is very expensive, very important and you are offering it to him to handle, that kid is going to be way more careful than any adult would be.
He's a very good kid.. and i have no problem letting him use any of my camera gear. But, he still is a little boy who is saving up to buy his first car (a WWII Jeep Willy), Plans on getting a football scholarship to LSU where he'll get his Veterinarian degree, after which he'll play for the NY Giants while running an animal shelter on the side... Anybody that gives a 10 year old kid $$$ worth of camera gear and doesn't expect to have to baby sit that camera doesn't know kids :)

How are the older m4/3 cameras? are there any worth looking into?

Not knowing what he had... I would recommend a Bridge camera, if you think he is serious enough about it. Like the Canon SX40.

Exactly what I was thinking. There are some point and shoots with interchangable lenses. Might be a good route.

I hesitate in buying my sister (who's turning 30 in january) a nicer camera then her entry level DSLR because she'll break it.. i couldn't imagine trusting a 10 year old with one, must be a mature kid if you're considering the d80

must be a mature kid if you're considering the d80
The reason for the 'used' D80 is simple. It will work with all my existing lenses... for example, a D3000 (D40,D50.. etc) won't drive my 'cheapo' 50mm 1.8D.

The cost difference between a used D70 and a used D80 isn't that much at places like KEH.

I would guess that he wouldn't really be happy with a bridge camera....while there are some 'point & shoot' cameras with interchangeable lenses, they are few and far between...and probably not what's he's wanting anyway.

I'd go with a used/cheap DSLR. A D70 would probably be a good choice. That way he can really explore the possibilities of full manual control, and will be able to borrow your lenses (as you see fit, might be an issue though).

As an alternative, you might even consider getting him an old 35mm film SLR. I don't know the Nikon models, but you could get a pretty old one and still have some lens compatibility with your modern Nikon lenses. The camera would be cheap, but film processing might make it a bit expensive...but he may really like the idea of being the only kid on the block with a cool 'film' camera.

Used D80 would be a better camera than a D70 or D70s. I'd go with a used body-with-AF-motor Nikon. Start him off right.

Used E-P1 or E-PP2? An optional viewfinder could be purchased for those and with the right adapters a ton of manual focus/apeture legacy glass is a available for a decent price. $200 could realistically get you 3-4 primes if you find the right bargains.

I have to agree. The Pen is the best option, especially if he like's the aesthetic of the X-E1. The X-E1 is going to be pretty pricy still, body at least $600, and likely much closer in line with the NEX-7 or yet to be released NEX-6.

Speaking of NEX, the NEX 5N will be dropping in price once the 5R is released.

Smaller camera for smaller hands. You may want to see if D80 with the lens is too heavy for him to enjoy photography. If not, D80, D70 or even D50 is a good choice for him for couple years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back