What would you buy a 10 year old who wants to get into photography?

As an alternative, you might even consider getting him an old 35mm film SLR. I don't know the Nikon models, but you could get a pretty old one and still have some lens compatibility with your modern Nikon lenses. The camera would be cheap, but film processing might make it a bit expensive...but he may really like the idea of being the only kid on the block with a cool 'film' camera.

The idea for the 'RETRO' look came from me showing him pictures of my old Pentax K1000... he would love an old camera. But he wouldn't like waiting for the film to get developed (kids these days).

Used E-P1 or E-PP2? An optional viewfinder could be purchased for those and with the right adapters a ton of manual focus/apeture legacy glass is a available for a decent price. $200 could realistically get you 3-4 primes if you find the right bargains.
I found a refurbished PEN E-PL1 w/14-42mm & 40-150mm lens for $350 (1 year factory warranty).. I think this is where i'm leaning right now.

Speaking of NEX, the NEX 5N will be dropping in price once the 5R is released.
I showed him the NEX-5N and he wasn't impressed.. It would be my choice.. but its his camera :S

Smaller camera for smaller hands. You may want to see if D80 with the lens is too heavy for him to enjoy photography. If not, D80, D70 or even D50 is a good choice for him for couple years.
He's 5'6".. 140lb without an ounce of fat.. his hands are bigger then mine.. (he wears a size larger shoe then me).. He's not going to have a problem with a full size DSLR :)

$sigma.jpg

The older PEN's or D80 seems to be the choice... Size or shared lenses..

Shared lenses, shared brand with "Dad"...make it a shared activity...it will help to teach him responsibility in using "family-owned" resources. It's ONLY a Nikon D80 or D70...we're not talking about a Speed Graphic here...no d-slr is all "that big"...don't get fixated on camera size. The boy uses an adult-sized dinner plate,silverware, toothbrush,pencil,pen,toilet,refrigerator,TV remote, phone, etc,etc....ergo, he doesn't need a miniature camera either...

Shared lenses, shared brand with "Dad"...make it a shared activity...it will help to teach him responsibility in using "family-owned" resources. It's ONLY a Nikon D80 or D70...we're not talking about a Speed Graphic here...no d-slr is all "that big"...don't get fixated on camera size. The boy uses an adult-sized dinner plate,silverware, toothbrush,pencil,pen,toilet,refrigerator,TV remote, phone, etc,etc....ergo, he doesn't need a miniature camera either...

Not all ten year olds are taller than you Derrel.

I'd be in the mindset of a bridge, but he seems to be pretty precise in his demands, so an older DSLR that he can use some of your gear with is the next best thing.
My youngest is 15 and he's had a DSLR for 3 or 4 years now. He'll be great with it. It's a great thing for you both to be involved with and with each other. Mine drives me insane any other time, but when he's working the camera with me he's a joy. He learned proper handling long before he got it and then we slowly worked into how to properly do things. Whereupon he then set off to break every rule but care of the camera. It's interesting and fun as hell to see what they do!

Most reactions

Back