What would you buy for newborn boy shoot?

k.tremblay1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ktremblayphotography.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a beginner and just figured out my backdrop stand and my new lights. So I figured what better way to get practice than to start doing some shoots?! So I put on Facebook that I would do a shoot with unlimited pics on cd for $50 in exchange for samples on my website. I had 10 people respond!! My first shoot is Tuesday and it's 2 siblings, a 1 year old girl and a 2 week old baby boy.I need ideas on props and poses! I can work the camera, I can work the lights but when it comes to posing I'm clueless! I am going shopping tonight what do you suggest I pick up? How would I pose a 1 year old with an infant?! Any tips are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

This has to be a TROLL post... or at least I really hope so! :grumpy:

I just ordered a scalpel, and some scrubs... I am going to post on FB that I will do FREE brain surgeries! Really hope I get some takers.. GOOD practice!

A little less sarcasm than Gipson... You *just* started. Don't charge. Period. You can't produce the quality required for $50. Do a few free *for experience* first. Then, after you're actually good, charge.

I agree..I wouldn't charge.

What would you buy for newborn boy shoot?
A 30 minute consultation with an attorney.

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

But, if you are charging for your photography services you essentially become a professional photographer, even if you're just a beginner.

That means you also get all the responsibilites a professional has.

You will need valid, properly executed model releases to use the photos you make on your web site, because of the manner in which the photos will be made.

Cape Cod may require that you be licensed or at the least registered. I'm sure the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has state level requirements too. If you haven't yet, you should find out. Your offer on Facebook is now essentially a permanent record your city an state can use as a basis for making decisions about your status.

Be sure and check with your insurance agent because most homeowners policies don't cover liability when someone gets hurt during a paid shoot, in the home or on location.

Last edited:
Not to mention the IRS... so now you will need to be careful not to get audited for money you make doing this! Make sure you report it as income! Prison is never fun! (maybe I am exaggerating a little bit.. but not much!) ;)

Wow you guys are harsh. Not 1 comment answered my original questions. I didn't JUST start I've been doing photography for years using bounce flash and natural light. But I just set up a studio for the first time. The people I'm charging are FRIENDS (hence why they are on my facebook). I'm doing them a favor and for a good deal while making some money in the process. Now can anyone answer my questions??

It may be harsh, but it true. All you need is one of the infants to get hurt. Guess who gets sued? You do. You can't get insurance till you register as a business and get a tax ID number. If you're serious, then don't charge them. Doing it for free removes you from some of, but not all of the liability issues, but your home owners covers that, unless you don't have that either because you rent. You could always call and reschedule when you're up and running as a proper business if you don't want to do it for free.

And if you make any money, and don't report.. you can be fined for it! The IRS and state and local governments want thier money! No joke on that.. no matter how harsh you think it is! :)

k.tremblay1 said:
Ok can someone answer my question??? These are my friends! Fine I won't charge. Now can someone answer my questions about props and posing??

You should just do a search for newborn and sibling poses. Check out some child photographers websites and look at the poses. Be aware that a lot of the trendy newborn shots are composites (head in hands, babies in slings, etc) so i'd stay away from them for now.

Props depend on what kind of shots you want. Cute blankets for the baby. Have the mom bring some toys over.

You will find a lot of inspiration online. Check out pinterest. You can find TONS of pose ideas.

50 bucks says she still charges...

Look up "newborn photo safety" and see that just about every shot of newborns is NOT shot how you think it was.

I would NOT do shots of both of them together until you have much more experience with babies and kids- one is hard enough. Two together with no experience? Nope.

Babies have immature circulation- always always always watch for anything turning colors. Even if a pose looks natural and comfy, hands or feet changing colors is bad and needs immediate correction!

It would probably be best to just get some hallow DOF pics of little parts and pieces- fingers, toes, lips, eyelashes, etc.

But I also agree with what you deemed as "harsh"- its all true and needs to be carefully considered.

I agree with mommy-medic, even though these guys were harsh, it is all true.

As far as answering your question,

Baskets and blankets are good for posing the newborn. Make sure you provide support where needed. You'll need 3-4 blankets, as I usually roll some to create the initial support, then use the others to cover and fill where necessary. Don't be afraid to change it up if something isn't working. It's not worth fighting for, especially since your window of cooperation is going to be so small with this age group (both of them). For the 1 year old, stools are good. They like to sit on things. Definitely have their feet touching the floor firmly at all times. In fact, if they are not walking yet, don't use the stool. You will need to focus on using distractions, and then having to compete with these distractions to get in-camera eye direction.

Posing the two together definitely will be HARD. An easy shot together is to see if older sibling will give the baby a kiss. Be ready, sometimes it's quick, sometimes they'll grab the baby with "love" but will upset the baby and then you're pretty much done. Obviously, you would not have the one year old hold the baby, but perhaps using the basket, pose the toddler nearby. The more interaction you can get the better, but with an infant and one year old, it's not likely you'll get much. The one year old is still essentially a baby themselves. Don't expect much and, again, don't fight too hard for anything. If it's not working, move on! Otherwise, it's a bunch of stress for everyone for no reward.

Please do go about this carefully. Infant and child photography is nothing to dipsy-doodle around with when you're just starting out. So much can go wrong. Make sure mom understands that she needs to be nearby the entire time and she is responsible for helping keep everyone safe.

I used to shoot family portraiture in a busy studio 5 or 6 days a week, 8 to 10 hrs a day....an 11-month old and a 2 week old is a TOUGH pairing to photograph for a newbie...the 2 week old cannot do *anything* to speak of except lie there, and the 11-month old is an exceedingly unpredictable creature. You need a "baby poser" for the 11-month old....think car bouncy seat, covered with a fur or fabric throw, and then the baby posed in a containment device, like a small and deeply bowl-shaped beanbag, also under a fur or fabric throw...

I'm serious....I have photographed maybe 100 of these pre-toddler/infant pairs...you need ways to keep the 11-month old SAFE, and seated. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, allow the 11-month old to hold,prop,support,or 'assist' the baby!!!!!! A child of 11 months is not able to do anything WRT to helping pose another person, of any age.

Keep the set short...photograph them both together, FIRST. THEN, do the baby alone. THEN, do the older child. That is the proper sequence for best results.

Most reactions

Back