What would you do? Deal or no deal? D80 vs D50

Wandering_Pugilist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I did many searches on this topic and this is basically a D80 vs D50 question, but with a bit of a twist.

I'm in Colombia, S.A right now and ordered a used D50 to replace my lost D40. I paid $389.00 off B&H for the D50, but it was more like $550.00 with shipping and import taxes. Today I stumbled across a store that sold decent gear and saw they had the D80 w/ 18-55 VR kit lens selling for about $1450.

Now, they'll give me about $450.00 for my used D50, and $40 for my D40 charger and battery, knocking the price of the D80 down to about $960. If I was to order it off of B&H, it would have cost me about $1250 after shipping and import taxes. Essentially I'll be spending $1350 for a camera that costs $900 in the states. Do you think it's worth it?

I have about a year's worth of experience with the D40 and I generally focus on boxing photography but also want to get more into landscape photography to try and get some pictures published. I know some publications only accept 10MP or higher, which is what got me thinking to trade my camera in the first place. What would you do?

That's a tough one.
The question is why would you want to buy a D80 with a kit lens? Since you already had a Nikon DSLR, can't you go for the body only?
I don't know where you are located. It would not surprise me if you were in Canada (otherwise why would you buy from B&H and why would you have to pay an import tax?). If it is the case, you should take a look at henry's. You can find them on ebay or on their website and they have new D80s body with warranty for around $650.
If you are not in Canada.... I don't know!

You lost $100 by trading your d50, but that's ok because you need higher pixel for your work. But since you mentioned sport photography maybe good idea looking at d60 (body only)with better ISO capabilities for low light shooting and buy fast telephoto seperately.

Just an idea.

That's a tough one.
The question is why would you want to buy a D80 with a kit lens? Since you already had a Nikon DSLR, can't you go for the body only?
I don't know where you are located. It would not surprise me if you were in Canada (otherwise why would you buy from B&H and why would you have to pay an import tax?). If it is the case, you should take a look at henry's. You can find them on ebay or on their website and they have new D80s body with warranty for around $650.
If you are not in Canada.... I don't know!

The thing is, if I didn't buy the kit lens, all I would have is a 50mm f/1.4, which is a great lens, but I also need more variety. Is the 18-55 VR that bad of a lens? But good point, maybe I can switch out the kit lens and pay a little more for something more versatile.

I am in Colombia, the country in South America, known for cocaine and drug trafficking n the sorts, although it really is nothing like that. Anyways, the reason I ordered from B&H is because the cameras here are ridiculously expensive and the prices are not stable. They tried to charge me $1500 for a new D50, $3000 for a D80, so it was cheaper to order from B&H, pay the high shipping rate, and import taxes (yes there are import taxes for shipping outside the US).

Well I finally found a reputable store with a reasonable price (the one I stated above), and now I'm not really sure what to do.

The Kit lenses are typically OK, but nothing comparable to something like a tamron 17-50. If you are planing on getting your pictures published, you will definitely see the difference with something like the Tamron.

Anyways, now that you have the D50, if i were in your shoes i would keep it for a little while. I suspect that Nikon is going to come up with a D90 and from then the prices of the D80 will drop some more.

The thing is, if I didn't buy the kit lens, all I would have is a 50mm f/1.4, which is a great lens, but I also need more variety. Is the 18-55 VR that bad of a lens? But good point, maybe I can switch out the kit lens and pay a little more for something more versatile.
The kit lens is great. :)

Stopped down at f/8 for daylight shooting, it's just as sharp if not better than my $1200 pro Nikkor 17-55 DX f/2.8 lens. A lot of gear heads would never admit that, but it's true. And the VR equals the faster f/2.8 speed at night too available light shots handheld. For landscape type photos, the combo to go with is an ultra-wide angle lens and then a telephoto zoom. On a reasonable budget, the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 is a great lens for less than $500 USD. Telephotos are easy. The Nikkor 55-200VR for around $200-250 USD, or even better the 70-300VR for $500 USD. If you don't mind having to use a tripod for best results in less than ideal light, the dirt cheap $125-150 USD 70-300G will also work.

I am in Colombia, the country in South America, known for cocaine and drug trafficking n the sorts, although it really is nothing like that. Anyways, the reason I ordered from B&H is because the cameras here are ridiculously expensive and the prices are not stable. They tried to charge me $1500 for a new D50, $3000 for a D80, so it was cheaper to order from B&H, pay the high shipping rate, and import taxes (yes there are import taxes for shipping outside the US).

This is totally off-subject, but I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Colombia. We don't think you're all about drugs. The days of Pablo Escobar are gone, and we know that :). I'm rather jealous of you, personally. What other country borders two oceans, has great beaches, lush jungles, AND beautiful mountains, all within 200-300 kms from each other? And then to top it off, your country is KNOWN for their beautiful women! I'm done praising your country, but I wanted you to know I think you're lucky. :)

But to answer your question, I'd stick with the D50, unless you really felt the D40 was limiting. Plus if you lose it again, you won't be out a lot of money. Maybe some day you will want to get the D80, and that is awesome, but until then stick with what you have. Who knows, by then the D80 may have a newer sister out, and will only be half as much as it is now! Then you'll have the camera you want, AND the money!

Maybe some day our countries will have a free trade agreement, and you can get these cameras for the same price we North Americans can!

Anyways, now that you have the D50, if i were in your shoes i would keep it for a little while. I suspect that Nikon is going to come up with a D90 and from then the prices of the D80 will drop some more.
But would the release of the D90 also drop the value of the D50, or would it have no affect since it is essentially a different line? And also I have no idea if those prices would drop in Colombia, or whatever South American country I'll be in whenever the hell the D90 comes out.

My main focus is boxing related photography, therefore low-light, fast action. I did find the D40 limiting in the sense that there were many things I couldn't shoot due to the extremely poor lighting conditions. I got a 50mm f/1.4 with the D50 to help that, but doesn't the D80 perform better in low-lighting settings?

Honestly, it really all depends on you and how serious you want to get about photography. At this point, instead of paying another $1000 and investing in an older model (do not get me wrong a D80 is no slouch!), I would suggest that you use your D50 for a year, and save up for a D300. During that time, use what you have, learn, read and enjoy photography... become a sponge and then, once you are ready, get the D300.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Honestly, it really all depends on you and how serious you want to get about photography. At this point, instead of paying another $1000 and investing in an older model (do not get me wrong a D80 is no slouch!), I would suggest that you use your D50 for a year, and save up for a D300. During that time, use what you have, learn, read and enjoy photography... become a sponge and then, once you are ready, get the D300.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Thanks for the advice. I have about a year's experience with the D40, which I know is different, but still similar to the D50. I am considering taking the route into trying to get published, and I know some places want a minimum of 10MP. Also in the next year, since I will be traveling most of the time, it is going to be very difficult to save up for something like a D300.

Well there might be a possbility of having someone just bring it with them so I would pay the normal prices of a D80. Would you trade it in this case?

Well there might be a possbility of having someone just bring it with them so I would pay the normal prices of a D80. Would you trade it in this case?

In your case it sounds like a sweet deal! Just make sure you don't have to pay for it before you have it. If you can try it out before you give the person the money, then it is the way to go!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back