What would you do?

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I need your help, although I think I already know the answer to my question. I need to know what you would do if you were in my situation. I'll be as brief as possible. 6 months ago, I took up photography and bought a DSLR, I got a Sony a200. Being new to the hobby, I bought the camera that wouldn't break my bank to see if the hobby would stick. Well, it has, in fact, it has become an obsession :lol: Here's my dilemma. I am now in a situation where I can afford a Nikon D80 and am considering upgrading, primarily because I want to buy more lenses but I'm not totally sold on Sony. Now don't get me wrong, I love the a200 and it has been a great camera for me, in fact, I don't even feel like I have outgrown it. I just fear that if I buy lenses for Sony, somewhere in the not to distant future, they may change their mount, or do something stupid and proprietary that Sony is known for. Now for the question, what would you do? I know all the Nikonians are going to scream get the Nikon but honestly, are my fears about lenses founded? Are there any other reasons to get a D80 over keeping my Sony a200? Anyway, Thanks in advance...

if lenses are your issue, why not try getting some cheaper minolta lenses. i have a sony and with their dslr they seem to be pushing interchangeable lenses espically with minolta. but even if they do (sometime in the not very plausable future) change their mounts, at least you wouldn't have broken the bank getting lenses.

I can't imagine Sony doing anything quite that stupid. The only reason they got a running start in the DSLR business is because of the technology sharing deal they struck with Minolta. Now that they're established I can't see them knee-capping their market position in such a reckless way, even if it is Sony we're talking about. I'm not sure what newer lenses are available for Sony's though but if there's a good enough range then that's where I'd put my money.

Switching systems shouldn't be a light decision, so think long and hard about it.

Sony is putting a lot of money and R&D into improving and trying to compete with the big boys.

Also, if you are going to jump ship to Nikon, you might as well get something newer than a D80.

if it's occupying your mind you may as well just do it and shoot with confidence...

just don't expect your images to be technically any greater, unless you get a creative boost from the change over...

if you lumber along buying more sony/minolta lenses while still thinking about nikon/canon you will just make it harder for yourself to change over...

now is the time ... the time is now...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back