what would you do?

TCUphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just started my business and had my first photo session today that was a random customer. I photographed her, her boyfriend, and their 4 young kids. My package is $150 for up to 2 hour session + cd...very affordable since I'm trying to grow. About 45 minutes to an hour into the session the boyfriend is ready to go home and her kids are hungry. She wants to split up her 2 hour session and make into 2 sessions. Would you split it up for her, do the session at a decreased rate or just say she owes the $150 regardless?

I'm pretty annoyed by this situation.....very inconsiderate! However I'm not sure if I should be nice and give her what she wants since she's a first customer.

I would tell them that per my contract, they have paid for "A" session, meaning one, single session, HOWEVER since it's clear that your children aren't happy and you're not going to get the best images, I will be glad to conduct a second session for you and offer you a discount on the session fee. I can schedule you in... <Offer only one date where you have nothing else booked and need filler>.

Do NOT simply give in to the customer in order to be nice. Start your business the way you mean to continue. This is akin to your child asking for another cookie after he's been told he can only have one and you saying 'Yes' because he asked nicely.

Key words - up to 2 hour session. You need to have a clause in your contract about the client begging off the full session time being the clients choice but since it's 'up to' there are no refunds/reschedules, but maybe a discount like tirediron suggested.
Few clients will want to be subjected to a 2 hour session. Leave it $150, but make it "up to 1 hour session". If a session goes over an hour, it looks like you over delivered and gave them a free bonus.

How many photos on the CD from a 2 hour session? All photos on the CD fully edited? Full-Res?

It is one session. Customers can't expect to split a session just because they are bored, hungry or any other lame reason. It might be a good idea to have very strict rules on the packages you offer, and not use "up to" it should be spelled out clearly. Good luck with the new business.

An "up to 2-hour session?"OMG...unless you're working with a paid model, I would never, ever expect to shoot for up to two hours,especially if kids, or a husband, are involved! Seriously...two hours is far,far too long for "normal" people. I'm not sure what your contract calls for, but "up to two hours" could be construed that THEY have hired YOU to shoot photos of them for "up to two hours time"...so...definitely, this needs to be cleared up.

It is 'a 2 hour session'. It could be a five hour session. If they want to leave early after the initial commitment, that's life, sorry. No more free sessions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back