Whats better for Wedding and Portrait Photography...Canon 7D or 5D Mark II

mysticman_57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now I can afford the 7D, I want to get into Wedding and Portrait Photography as that seem to be where the money is. I'm presently shooting with a Canon T1i and assorted L series lenses. My dilema, do I spend the money now on the 7D and sacrifice getting a full frame 5D Mark II later (much later) or take a leap of faith and get the 7D now...I also shoot a lot of nature and Fine arts so it would have to cover that arena also..I would love to have the Full frame but it's a lot of money to spend. especially if the 7D is comparable...any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated ..PS..In other forums I have had a lot of well meaning people who have no experience with either camera offer their opinion. I really appreciate their intentions but please answer ONLY if you have first hand experience with both camera's..Peace.

I own and have worked with both. I choose the 5DMKII for almost all my shooting.

do I spend the money now on the 7D and sacrifice getting a full frame 5D Mark II later (much later) or take a leap of faith and get the 7D now

You seem to have already made up your mind.

That's actually not unusual. Lots of people ask this question here every month and, after getting everyone's opinions, announce that they've actually already decided. Turns out, they just wanted affirmation from the crowd - a "go ahead".

We get folks who take us around this merry-go-round for a few days or a week, then say, "well, I don't really have the money for the top one anyway, so I'm just going to get the less expensive one."

Then, why ask?

Or, "I NEED 8 FPS!, so model X is out".

Then why ask?

You get the idea...

If anything like that is cooking here, just know: You don't need our permission. Just get it if you want it.

Surely, you've researched them. You know what each offers; the pros and cons. So, what's the real question?

Is the opinion of anyone here more important or worthy toward you spending a few thousand dollars than your own research and opinion about it? What could possibly sway you, one way or the other?

No offense intended, but the search function on this forum is fantastic. There's gotta be hundreds of this exact thread on this forum already that you could have read every response to, and gotten all the same feedback that you might get in this one (yet again).

Speedy burst and AF performance are about the only advantages of the 7D over the 5DmkII. For weddings and portraits, the 5DII will outperform the 7D nearly every time, especially in image quaility.

I own a 7D and have used a friends 5DII a number of times. I would love a 5DII, but don't have the motivation drop the extra money on one, especially considering the need to replace my 10-22 and 17-55 with FF equivelants.

In a side by side comparison the 7D produces sharper shots than the 5D Mark II. Newer technology is the simple answer as to why.

skieur

^ wow what? :lmao:

Yeah, what's up with that Matt? I thought the 7D was the best d-slr ever made?And the best value in a d-slr? And the best crop-body ever made? Did you change your mind about those things Matt?

Best value? Best crop? Before the D7000, it was; and if you shoot Canon, it still is. Best DSLR ever? Hm.... I don't remember ever saying that.

Unquestionably, the 5DII has better image quality than the 7D. And until just now, I don't think I've ever seen or heard that argued otherwise.

5Dii is worth the money. I shoot weddings with it & a 5Di.

whatever camera you have or can afford to get would be the best camera for weddings, after all a camera is only a tool and yes you need good tools to do the best job you can do, but the best tool in the world in incompetent hands will still turn out lousy products.

With the proper experience and ability you can use ether and turn out exceptional work.

Well Buckster , Actually no, I haven’t made up my mind. If I had I wouldn’t have posted this thread now would I. I have tossed about the idea of saving for the Mark II for a year now but as I stated in the original post "I would love to have the Full frame but it's a lot of money to spend. Especially if the 7D is comparable..Which I have no idea other than what I’ve read since I have had neither camera. Hence the post… I guess when I said any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated I should have have been more spacific and said any constructive thoughts …And no I don’t need a “Go ahead” from you or anyone else…the first sentence of your post was appreciated. As that pertained to my question. The rest I could have done without as it was totally unnecessary ….. If I get enough positive feedback on the mark II that’s probably the one I’ll go with..If it turns out people who have used it think I can get pretty much the same quality product from the cheaper 7D then …..yep you guessed it, Ill probably go with the 7D. ….as for the rest of you guys ,thanks for the feedback

Well Buckster , Actually no, I haven’t made up my mind. If I had I wouldn’t have posted this thread now would I
You might have. As I said, others have. Try the search function. It's awesome.
I have tossed about the idea of saving for the Mark II for a year now but as I stated in the original post "I would love to have the Full frame but it's a lot of money to spend.
Common knowledge, especially if you've researched it, as I said. Nothing newsworthy there. WHY do you think it's an extra thousand bucks or so?
Especially if the 7D is comparable..
WHY do you think it's an extra thousand bucks or so if it's "comparable"? We could compare it with a Holga, for that matter.
Which I have no idea other than what I’ve read since I have had neither camera. Hence the post...
Hence my suggestion to use the search function here, where you will find more threads and posts and answers and suggestions pertinent to that than you probably have the time or inclination to even read.
I guess when I said any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated I should have have been more spacific and said any constructive thoughts …
I tried. Sorry if you needed a gentler hand.
And no I don’t need a “Go ahead” from you or anyone else…
If you say so...
the first sentence of your post was appreciated. As that pertained to my question.
Glad to be of service.
The rest I could have done without as it was totally unnecessary …..
Thanks for your opinion.
If I get enough positive feedback on the mark II that’s probably the one I’ll go with..
"Enough" eh? LOL! If I were a betting man, I'd put down a dollar that you won't get "enough" to make that choice.
If it turns out people who have used it think I can get pretty much the same quality product from the cheaper 7D then …..yep you guessed it, Ill probably go with the 7D. ….
Consider the fact that most people with experience with either one, don't have experience with both. People then tend to clap their hands and swoon over whichever one they have experience with. How does that do you any good?
as for the rest of you guys ,thanks for the feedback
Yeah, thanks guys, especially those of you who own and shoot both, and therefore have an objective opinion to share. :thumbup::wink:

Is there any place out there you can rent the cameras for a day? Try it yourself and see.

I do not own nor have use neither of the cameras. (Canon 40D owner) But I think camera gears are just quite personal things. I love full frame while others like crop. I like Canon, but others may prefer Nikon.

But from what I see/read/heard, full frame cameras (in DSLR world) were used more often than cropped body. I guess the reason maybe ..... For the same framing, the full frame camera maybe able to make the out of focus blur background blurrier. In the same low light environment situation, the full frame camera often out perform the cropped body in term digital noise level .

Well, if I going to shop for the next camera body now, I will look for a full frame body. It could even be the 5D classic. But that is just me.

Best value? Best crop? Before the D7000, it was; and if you shoot Canon, it still is. Best DSLR ever? Hm.... I don't remember ever saying that.

Unquestionably, the 5DII has better image quality than the 7D. And until just now, I don't think I've ever seen or heard that argued otherwise.

Depends on how you define image quality. Overall colour on test images shows that the 5DII has warmer colours than the 7D. Some photographers like that for portraiture. Sharpness however is still slightly better at all ISOs on the 7D, again in looking at images side by side.

skieur

Depends on how you define image quality. Overall colour on test images shows that the 5DII has warmer colours than the 7D. Some photographers like that for portraiture. Sharpness however is still slightly better at all ISOs on the 7D, again in looking at images side by side.

skieur
I remember an old thread where a visual comparison was made regarding sharpness (below). I own a 7D and it is definitely not known for its sharpness. In fact most revewers (and users) note that its very soft by default. After sharpnening it (using post production or the JPG settings in camera) it's... better, but nothing I have seen has led me to believe it is in any way better than the 5DII with regard to sharpness. What tests are you referring to?

7D:
725874738_DCBws-X2.jpg

5DII:
726134611_ut2wE-X2.jpg

From: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...5106-7d-test-images-taken-today-high-iso.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back