whats going to happen to those people who only shoot with phones or never print pics

supercool2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see so many moms snapping pics of their kids with cell phones and posting to facebook. They are grainy horrible pictures. I know some of the newest phones are suppose to take nice pictures but how are they going to look blown up in a large print? Or even printed at sll ?

I was once told by a mom she never uses a camera, just her phone. This was after I offered to take some free photos of her kid at the park with my dslr. She ceclined my offer because of that reasoning. I couldnt help wonder why she wouldnt want high resolution good quality photos instead ? Only reason I coukd fathom was maybe she was just lying and trying to be polite because she didnt wsnt a stranger (even if clearly another mom) taking pictures of her or her kid. A mom who is getting prints told me one of her friends acted shocked when she found out she "still prints pictures" . she agreed with me that this friend of hers us going to regret never doing prints.

I actually feel that when those kids are older all those pictures their mom took will be gone or lost because they didnt print them out and only used them for facebook or online. Whats going to happen if this trend ends and prints become popular again?

Personally I am biased over having prints , even if still have the digital images on file in case something ever happens to those digital images. Here are a few that I kept on a hard drive (for about 8 years now) that mysteriously disapeared or are already turning black. So when you see the thumbnail it looks fine, but the file is corrupted and when you click on it big it shows it black or all these crazy lines running down it. I have had a my only ones of my two middle kids together as toddlers, in same picture destroyed this way. As a result only have seperate ones of them now, except for the very recent. I have slacked big time in printing (So im guilty of not printing too) out my kids pictures but recently decided to make it a mission to print everything out as3x5/ 4x6's , or 5x7, and put in albums. Maybe identical albums to give to my kids when each grow up, and an extra one for myself. And then have a few extra special ones in large prints on the wall, to change out every year, or every couple years.
For those who know of anyone that does not print their pictures, do you know if they care about having them later on? Or do people just not think of this? Im genuinely curious and would like others thoughts or perspective on this. Thanks

Modern phones print up just fine, actually. It is said, I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but it is said that we are making more prints than ever. When what you want is pictures, the iPhone or whatever is the right choice. When what you want is a camera, or fine art, or wildlife pictures, or macro pictures of bugs, then it's not. If you just want pictures: The christmas tree, the kids, the kids, mom, and then the christmas tree again, iPhone. It'll print fine for the size of prints you want.

I suspect that photo books are a part of this.

Certainly the vast majority of pictures taken are never printed, never intended to be printed, and are essentially ephemeral. They're uploaded to someplace, looked at briefly, and then are gone. Still, it seems like some, a tiny percentage, so little as to be practically the same as none, are printed in one form or another. This "almost none" seems like it might, in absolute numbers, be as many or more actual printed pictures than ever before.

I'm not sure what's up, overall, although some trends are clear.

I've read the title of this thread a dozen times, and it still doesn't make any sense...

Back in the olden days people used to show others images taken with their cameras in slide shows.
Sit around in the living room and project.
Then printing became cheaper and there were many crappy looking 110 or 126 images being shown.

It's all about the presentation media.
Now people can see the images on devices. Who needs prints ?
A print photo album is not in a computer or on a mobile device.

It was not too common for someone to get a larger print than something for an album.

The times are changing, lol.

I think that in 20-30 years (maybe sooner, maybe right now) there will be a lot of people with NO photos of their childhood, kids being born, birthday parties, etc... The average person uses a phone as their sole camera, Facebook as the sole 'display medium', doesn't print anything, and makes no backups.

Really, they are relying on Facebook "being there" forever.

It's kind of sad, IMO...

For many people images are instantaneous, momentary ... look at the concept of SnapChat.

... I think many people believe that keeping digital images as digital images is what they are for.
Film cameras make prints.
Digital cameras make screen images.

My family has really stopped with prints and are displaying images via computers/mobile devices ... there is also the influence of cost, as there is no charge to show someone a digital image.

Even I have succumb to that, I really don't have many physical prints of my digital images.
I do have prints from my film images ... and I really want to get my darkroom running again.

My answer is: "Who cares?"

Lots of people care. If you don't care, then move along. I promise not to take your lack of response to a thread as an endorsement.

The question assumes that something is going to happen to the people who only take photos with their cameras. I don't understand why someone would conclude that something would happen to them, that's all.

Seems kinda' silly...

The question assumes that something is going to happen to the people who only take photos with their cameras. I don't understand why someone would conclude that something would happen to them, that's all.

Seems kinda' silly...
It's only a matter of time till Fuji and Kodak start looking for someone to rough up due to the decline in photo paper sales. :lol:

Honestly, it's not that hard to decode the question being asked here. If you insist on correct grammar and clearly written essays for everything on the Internets, well, I wish you luck with that.

I still print my pictures. These get ruin easily and don't last very long. All my 4x6 prints, I use for bookmarks. Nice to look at my prints all the times instead of taking the times to boot my computer or looking at my iPad underneath the sun.

The younger generation has a different experience with images than the one I had when I was their age. All we had were printed photographs. And albums. That was how we shared images. My daughter's experience with photographs has been through both prints and digital media, but mostly digital media. She does not perceive prints to be any more or less "permanent" than the jpegs she posts on Facebook. To her, the jpegs online are serving the same purpose as the family album did for me--a way to collect and organize images, but more importantly, a way to share them. When she wants to physically share her images with others, she pulls out her phone and goes through them the same way I used to flip through drugstore prints with my friends. If her friend wants a picture, she emails it to them, and now they can share it with others in the same way. I think the digital copy is the same thing as a physical object to her. It's just in a different format.

Back in the olden days people used to show others images taken with their cameras in slide shows.
Sit around in the living room and project.

You nailed it with your slide show reference. I grew up watching slides with my family. Sharing and recounting vacations and various events. I very much missed that.

Now with social networking and possible image sharing, those days are back. I share family picture with my out of town relatives. We either chat about them or sit together and relive events while "projecting" them on the tv. We mainly use iCloud and AppleTV.

As far as not having pictures for a generation, it is a silly idea. Everything uploaded online is replicated and basically lasts for ever. A iPhone picture is fine and not intrusive. It's nice to have tons of pictures of your kids. But a big DSLR can get in the way of the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back