whats so good about the prime lens that similar to the kit lens?

how about the difference between the 50 1.8 and newer 1.4. is there that big a difference between the two?

The most significant difference is build quality (metal vs. plasic). As for the difference in aperture between 1.4 and 1.8, and if that's worth the $$--for a pro, definitely, but for a hobbiest probably not.

The most significant difference is build quality (metal vs. plasic). As for the difference in aperture between 1.4 and 1.8, and if that's worth the $$--for a pro, definitely, but for a hobbiest probably not.

I would agree if you are talking about the difference between the 1.2L and the 1.8, but the price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8 is not that great. From my prospective, if you want a 50mm to have around and you use it every once in a while then go for the 1.8

If on the other hand if it is a lens that will see a good amount of use, buy the 1.4. With the difference in build quality, it will last where the 1.8 will in all likely hood fall apart. If you end up buying more than 2 in the lifetime of the system, you have paid for the 1.4 and not got the value the 1.4 would have given.

I got my grandfathers film equipment after he passed away. The nikon 50mm 1.8 is just about my favorite lens in my kit. I use it for practically everything. I obviously cant have any "regrets" about getting it per se, but didn't know if purchasing the 1.4 would be at all beneficial.
I'm just gonna stick with this lens, it's fantastic and has a lot of sentimental value to it as well for me - makes everything that much better.

is the 50mm 1.8 simliar to the 18-55 is kit lens in build quality??

it's such a hard decision determining which lens to get..
at first.. it was the macro/tele for me.. now its
50mm 1.8
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 macro

I really can't decide which to buy first anymore..

and btw.. in terms of focal length ratio
is 55mm vs 85mm the same as
25mm vs 55mm??

Last edited:
Well, I bought the 50mm 1.8 because it was cheap! Maybe you can buy a cheaper one AND another lens? :p

i just got a Minolta 50mm 1.7 to replace the kit lens of my Sony a200...and boy what a difference... :)

Most reactions

Back