What's the best way to let a camera dry out?

How's he going to find enough Silica Gel, really? Why hasn't anyone mentioned uncooked rice? It works exactly like silica gel, but it's easier to get ahold of.

Well, you can get hold of it but it can be a hassel.

The uncooked rice tip is an excellent one.

Just make sure that you enclose it in a fine weave fabric bag of some sort as it can actually be quite dusty. (And washing it would rather defeat the object of the exercise).

Kitty litter also works like a champ.
encased in a cloth bag (think panty hose or thin sock) of course.
Ive used that for a number of things...

HTH
-Ted

Use the all-crystal kitty litter; it's just silica gel with a bit of dye in some of the crystals.

WalMart's cheapie brand is Mimi-Litter, about $4-5 per bag last time I bought any.

I think it's weird that no one has yet suggested that perhaps moisture/condensation is not the cause of the Error 99. Error 99 is the error given when the camera cannot diagnose itself. It can be caused by a number of things like faulty contacts between the lens and camera mounts.

Just a thought.

If you're interested in buying silica gel, I've ordered from here many times.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=359233

I use it for all my camping gear, inside my camera bags, storage containers in my closets etc...

It works really well, and as it says in the ad, it can be heated to be used again.

Best of luck with your camera.

I think it's weird that no one has yet suggested that perhaps moisture/condensation is not the cause of the Error 99. Error 99 is the error given when the camera cannot diagnose itself. It can be caused by a number of things like faulty contacts between the lens and camera mounts.

Just a thought.

I found other places online which lead me to believe that the moisture could be responsible for error 99. Just something I'd much rather clear up before I send my camera away for repair, even if it doesn't turn out to be the problem.

Most reactions

Back