What's the difference between these two Pentax lenses?

Oh, the new 18-55 is a great lens intended for use with the higher-resolution sensor on the K20. It looks like the same lens on the outside, but the guts are completely redone. The II has less colour fringing, much less vignetting at the wide angle and much higher sharpness overall. The resolution far surpasses the nyquist limit of the K10(Ie. The sensor can't even see detail that fine), so to get full enjoyment out of the lens, it's great to use on a K20.

With this lens, Pentax has the highest quality kit lens I've ever seen from any brand. Hands down. Period!

Oh, the new 18-55 is a great lens intended for use with the higher-resolution sensor on the K20. It looks like the same lens on the outside, but the guts are completely redone. The II has less colour fringing, much less vignetting at the wide angle and much higher sharpness overall. The resolution far surpasses the nyquist limit of the K10(Ie. The sensor can't even see detail that fine), so to get full enjoyment out of the lens, it's great to use on a K20.

With this lens, Pentax has the highest quality kit lens I've ever seen from any brand. Hands down. Period!

Thank you. So basically its to go with the K20? If someone had a K100 they probably wouldn't see a difference? I know there's always future upgrades, but for the purpose of discussion the differences would be indistinguishable on a 6mp sensor? I know the vignetting would be there, but what about color fringing?

Thank you, Drewski. I had a feeling you'd be one of the people to post. You're very knowledgeable about all things Pentax!

Yeah honestly, vignetting has never been a deal-breaker for me. I often prefer that look anyway and I add it to alot of my photos in post (Well, the portraits at least). The fringing is also fixable in post, but it's still not something you want to have to deal with. But remember, not every scene you shoot is going to be right for creating fringing. Apparently, my crappy 70-300 has terrible fringing problems, though I never shoot the kinds of scenes where it has a chance to appear. So Really, it's also a non-issue (for me, anyway).

You might be perfectly happy with the original 18-55. Not to mention you'd save a few bucks.

Yeah honestly, vignetting has never been a deal-breaker for me. I often prefer that look anyway and I add it to alot of my photos in post (Well, the portraits at least). The fringing is also fixable in post, but it's still not something you want to have to deal with. But remember, not every scene you shoot is going to be right for creating fringing. Apparently, my crappy 70-300 has terrible fringing problems, though I never shoot the kinds of scenes where it has a chance to appear. So Really, it's also a non-issue (for me, anyway).

You might be perfectly happy with the original 18-55. Not to mention you'd save a few bucks.

Thank you. I don't have a Pentax, but I like to know as much as I can. Plus you never know if I will be the proud owner of a Pentax some day... :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back