whats the difference?

tat2me2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
home.myspace.com
alright....i take LOTS of photos of kids (candid) since im always around them...i would like people opinion on what makes the difference between just a candid snapshot and a nice photograph when shooting kids. the photos i take of the kids, the parents love (of course, they arent professionals, just parents...haha)...but id like to know what more i can do to make them more "artistic" or more for "artistic value" (though i do like the ones i take for the most part)...
(so can i get any pointers? how are these, what could i have done better?)
BTW...ive only been shooting for about 2 months, and i have no control over focus (or ANYTHING like that, its basiclly a point and shoot digital)...FYI before anyone starts telling me what functions i could change..
thank you, appreciate any and all comments...

(he's a firefighter...)
miah.jpg

work.jpg

P8190044.jpg

.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/petraswork/.jpg

sorry for the large images...first time posting, and i thought i resized them, guess it didnt work (my EXTREME appologies for those with dial up)

#1 and 3 have much more of a snapshot feel to them. And I think its the lighting that makes them feel that way. It doesn't feel like you controlled the lighting at all, alot of harsh shadows and flash wash.

#2 and 4 I like much more. #2 is my favorite. #4 has some really blown out spots in his hair where the bright light is just waaaaay to hot. But on the other hand it almost works for me.

So that would be my suggestion to you, work on controlling your lighting and shoot shoot shoot shoot. And then shoot some more. :mrgreen:

I pretty much agree with Robert. The only thing I might add is background, background, background. Either throw it completely out of focus or really watch what is back there.

I agree with what's been said here: control the lighting the background.

Harsh, frontal lighting and backgrounds that compete with the subject for the viewer's attention look like snapshots.

EDIT: Read the sticky post at the top of this forum. It'll start you with some basic concepts that will be helpful.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3028

EDIT: Whoops, I mean at the top of the 'general photography' forum.

One of the first things I learnt about photography was Rule of Thirds. I don't know if that's something that you know about but do a little googling and you might find some ideas to keep in mind when taking picture.

Basically just think about composition. Background, lighting, activities. In my experience I get some of my best portrait shots but just waiting with my eye to the camera. When something happens, I take the shot.

Also I find that taking the picture from your subjects eye level can *sometimes* determine the difference between a good picture and a not so good picture. I say *sometimes* because every "rule" in photography isn't really a rule. Just a guideline. Photography is creative. Create your own rules.

Most reactions

Back