Whats Up with my Speedlight??

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, so as I posted before, I just got a Nikon Speedlight SB-50DX... i had it down in New Orleans with me, and all was going well, then it stopped responding.... i took out the brand new batteries, and then put them back it, and it just kept making a noise like electric gears spinning.... it wouldnt turn on, it wouldnt work...

any ideas as to whats wrong with it?

My photographer friend told me the issue I am having is something along the lines of "zoom cycle" does anyone know anything about this.. mainly how to fix it??

Coud be that is is not compatible with your camera, does it make the same noise when not attached to the camera?

yes it makes the noise regardless... i have a nikon D40 and its a nikon SB-50DX.. i would assume a nikon flash would be compatible with a nikon camera....

Electric gears spinning, it does sound like the flash head's motor is zooming for no reason. This is a repair job by the sounds of it, not user error.

If it sounds more like an electrical whining then it's also a repair job as that usually indicates a leaking capacitor.

Every Nikon flash is compatible with every Nikon camera as far as the features line up. Yes you can trigger the flash. No the SB50dx does not have iTTL so you can forget automatic flash metering or all those other niceities offered by your D40x's matrix meter such as fill flash, high speed sync, etc.

Most reactions

Back