What's with the numbers?

jocose said:
DC, you did, and I'm definitely a noob--don't let the post count fool ya ;)

Yea, see my post just above. I think now, since I have the money, I am leaning to getting all 3. Of couse, none of these lenses that I'm looking at are terribly expensive, so I could space it out a little instead of spending all at once.

I would wait on the zoom lense if I were you. I sure wish I did. I should have waited 'till I got used to shooting again, saved up, and got a real nice one (1000 to 1500US) with image stabilization and ED glass. Not that mine is bad, but I don't really use it, and when I start, I wish I could have a better one with a lower f # (equates to being able to shoot at faster shutter speeds while zoomed in on something far away).

BTW--get the 50mm 1.8 it's a great lens, did I mention this already?:D

Crawdaddio's right on there. If you can save for a constant aperture zoom with IS or VR (canon or nikon) then it's well worth it. My Nikon f2.8 70-200 VR was my best lens, but I chopped it in when I went back to fully manual. Now I only use prime lenses. I'm not even digital yet, but my goodness the research I've done on it over the last year or so!

Rob

Rob said:
First paragraph, yes - you've got it just right. The image dimensions affect the size which is where megapixels can come into it as the more image you have the bigger it can be printed at 300dpi.

Second paragraph - you've got it again. The mirror (which bounces the image to the prism and your eye) is the same sizeish as the sensor, so WYSIWYG and you see the final image (or actually about 95% of it).

Third paragraph. Yep. Possibly even consider the D50 as it's virtually the same as the 70.

Fourth paragraph - up to you. Many of us love our prime lenses and compose and take better photos as a result. For such a small sum of money it seems a good thing to buy. The Nikon lenses are imported from Japan, so as long as it's not a grey import (no problems from B&H I would think) then you'll be fine. And before you ask me about grey imports, it's normally just a tax dodge, so the only thing affected is your warranty (with genuine Nikon lenses).

Rob

I considered the D50. But, after playing with it and the D70s, I think I like the latter better...it just feels better in my hand, and I like the controls a bit better. It was within my price range, so I'm not really going out on a limb financially, so I think I'm gonna stick with that.

I'm actually looking now about buying the 18-70mm/D70s body/1 gig card kit at B&H and looking elsewhere for the 50mm and larger zoom.

I know that this is going to be a subject question, so let me say I'm looking more for objective comments (reputable company, good ratings, good for the cost, etc). Besides buiying an actual Nikon lens, what other companies are good?

^I would stick with nikon lenses if you're using a nikon. But that's just me, who knows, I'm probably an idiot. Maybe? Ok definitely.......er....sometimes.

Good luck with it Jo

~DC

OK, I know I should have asked this earlier, but the lower the mm number, the wider the angle and vice versa? So a 1500mm would zoom way up close and a 1mm would have an obnoxious wide pov?

Is this true for macros as well? are there numbers to stay away from? (some if this is just for education as opposed to actually trying to buy something for this purchase, so don't worry too much folks.)

jocose said:
OK, I know I should have asked this earlier, but the lower the mm number, the wider the angle and vice versa? So a 1500mm would zoom way up close and a 1mm would have an obnoxious wide pov?

Is this true for macros as well? are there numbers to stay away from? (some if this is just for education as opposed to actually trying to buy something for this purchase, so don't worry too much folks.)

Firstly, zooming is just changing the focal length of a lens, not the process of getting a macro picture.

The lower the length of the lens, the wider it's field of view can be. The ability to zoom and get close (macro) are a different do-dah. Most macro lenses are approximately 85-180mm in length and some are prime and some are zoom. They make things bigger than 1:1 and the ratio reflects the amount of magnification, not the length of the lens in mm.

Rob

Rob said:
Firstly, zooming is just changing the focal length of a lens, not the process of getting a macro picture.

The lower the length of the lens, the wider it's field of view can be. The ability to zoom and get close (macro) are a different do-dah. Most macro lenses are approximately 85-180mm in length and some are prime and some are zoom. They make things bigger than 1:1 and the ratio reflects the amount of magnification, not the length of the lens in mm.

Rob

:scratch: erm... ahh, I get it....no, wait, erm :scratch: so it's the ratio that you need to look at to determine the amount of macro, but the mm is only for distance and zoom.

Oh, and what's a prime lens?

A prime lens is simply a fixed (non-zoom) lens. The major advantage that primes have is (generally) less elements (bits of glass). Less elements = less light reflections internally (sharper pictures and better rendition). Less elements also simplify construction allowing for perhaps slightly more precision tolerance thus cheapening production and allowing the stunning deal that is a f1.8 lens for under $100.

Macro lenses are designed to have a very close focal range. Some can get mere millimetres from their target object (hence things like ring flashes). Some are virtually microscopes as they enlarge things so much.

As with any lens, you get what you pay for. I have one very similar to this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105af.htm

It was expensive.

Mine's manual focus and my goodness that's difficult outdoors.

Rob

A prime lens is a fixed lens. It only has one distance from lens (like a 50mm lens). It cannot zoom at all. Since there are less complicated parts they tend to be much cleaner shots and much sharper. (also if you want more to stuff into your head look into extention tubes as an alternative to a macro lens)

jocose said:
it says on B&H that it's "imported" does that matter?)

The only difference is that you would ship the item to B&H for warranty service. All you need is your B&H Photo-Video invoice instead of a warranty certificate.

A day at work can get you pretty behind on the post but I'll just say some random comments on lots of what I've read.

First: I went from shooting a Kodak DX6490 to the D70. It had a 10x zoom which was a 35mm equiv to 38-380mm. When we got the D70, I was a little concerned about not having that zoom range without a large zoom. Some time later, we bought a 70-300mm zoom for the D70 and I've used it quite a bit for some parades or speeches or things that I can't really get close to, macro shots because 300mm macros rock, a few landscape shots and some during weddings because of the same distance issue. Other than that, my 50mm stays on the camera pretty much the rest of the time. I use it the absolute most of any lens in my bag.

You can pick up a 50mm 1.8 for around $100 or you can do like we did and find a film Nikon for sale on eBay that comes with a 50mm. I got our N70 with the 50 for about the same cost of a new 50 and now have a backup film body. Just make sure in the description that it's autofocus.

Lastly, I would get the D70s kit and the memory card first and wait for it to come in before you start shopping for the other lenses. Then you can take your camera to Joe's camera shop and see how much you like the lenses you're interested in. Just shoot with them in the store and go home, download them, etc... That way you will know what type of product you're getting before you buy it. When it's all said and done, you could actually just make the two hour drive up to the B&H superstore in NY and try everything out on the spot. I bet they'd even let you download them on one of their laptops or PCs and even print some pictures out.

Then again...I have been known to be a little loopy from time to time. ;)

hobbes28 said:
A day at work can get you pretty behind on the post but I'll just say some random comments on lots of what I've read.

First: I went from shooting a Kodak DX6490 to the D70. It had a 10x zoom which was a 35mm equiv to 38-380mm. When we got the D70, I was a little concerned about not having that zoom range without a large zoom. Some time later, we bought a 70-300mm zoom for the D70 and I've used it quite a bit for some parades or speeches or things that I can't really get close to, macro shots because 300mm macros rock, a few landscape shots and some during weddings because of the same distance issue. Other than that, my 50mm stays on the camera pretty much the rest of the time. I use it the absolute most of any lens in my bag.

You can pick up a 50mm 1.8 for around $100 or you can do like we did and find a film Nikon for sale on eBay that comes with a 50mm. I got our N70 with the 50 for about the same cost of a new 50 and now have a backup film body. Just make sure in the description that it's autofocus.

Lastly, I would get the D70s kit and the memory card first and wait for it to come in before you start shopping for the other lenses. Then you can take your camera to Joe's camera shop and see how much you like the lenses you're interested in. Just shoot with them in the store and go home, download them, etc... That way you will know what type of product you're getting before you buy it. When it's all said and done, you could actually just make the two hour drive up to the B&H superstore in NY and try everything out on the spot. I bet they'd even let you download them on one of their laptops or PCs and even print some pictures out.

Then again...I have been known to be a little loopy from time to time. ;)

You must be loopy dude; it's about 3 1/2 hours from DC.

Yea, I'm thinking about going with the 18-70 lens and the card, using my bro-in-law's 50mm and 70-300mm (even though they are for the 35mm, and neither are autofocus) until I can afford to upgrade--which was the original plan anyway. BUT, like I said above, if I opt out of the warranty, I'll have ab extra $85, so I might just go ahead and buy the 70-300 since I already budgeted for that, and I would still be ahead. Then it will be a whole lot easier to save for the better 50mm... such pressure to decide. It's just so darn expensive...I don't want to do the wrong thing.

jocose said:
You must be loopy dude; it's about 3 1/2 hours from DC.

Yea, I'm thinking about going with the 18-70 lens and the card, using my bro-in-law's 50mm and 70-300mm (even though they are for the 35mm, and neither are autofocus) until I can afford to upgrade--which was the original plan anyway. BUT, like I said above, if I opt out of the warranty, I'll have ab extra $85, so I might just go ahead and buy the 70-300 since I already budgeted for that, and I would still be ahead. Then it will be a whole lot easier to save for the better 50mm... such pressure to decide. It's just so darn expensive...I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Oops... I'm used to judging distance from Aberdeen, MD instead. So, yeah, 3 1/2 hours. :oops:

No matter what you do, it won't be the wrong decision. As long as it makes you happy in the end. ;)

Most reactions

Back