Whats wrong here???

Glycerol Sound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_3542.jpg

Absolutely love this except that there are huge parts of the sky which just look... terrible. Like reaaaaally low resolution. Shot this at ISO200 in Raw, so I'm really confused about what happened here. Help?

The focus is soft.

The way digital cameras work most of the image information is in the highlights and there is little data in the shadows, which is why BIG Mike is always touting ETTR (Expose To The Right) which is where the highlights are.

If your camera can capture a total dynamic range of 6 stops and your RAW is 12-bit, there are 4096 possible levels.
The brightest of the 6 stops will contain 1/2 of those 4096 levels or 2048 of them.
That leaves 1/2 of 2048 levels for the next stop, 1014, ans so on.

The darkest stop only has 64 levels, not a whole lot of data.

So are you suggesting sort of an HDR next time?

And is there anything in post I can do?

He is saying that its better to overexpose than underexpose since it leaves you more room in post to bring down what you need. But if you overexpose too much you will have problems too. You want your cameras histogram to be stacked mainly to the right side.

To fix this? Such as what?

To fix this? Such as what?

You said you shot it in RAW.
Open it in ACR, increase exposure, adjust recovery to reduce clipping, play around with some other settings.

Proper exposure is extremal important but you also need to deal with the fact that nothing in this photo is in sharp focus.

When I first read your post I just concentrated on the sky but a closer look at the tree line shows the whole image is soft like KmH pointed out.

That could be the camera not being able to focus because of low light, or camera shake, tripod or not.

Nothing in ACR can change that.

You could always take another shot down the road of a silhouette and then use the sky from this as the background but give it a blurry sort of hazy painting type of effect as if that is the effect you are purposely aiming for. Just an idea.

Yeah thats not a bad idea man. Just waiting for the conditions to come back. I hate blowing a good cloudy moonlit sky

Most reactions

Back