What's your choice

lj4bes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased canon 6d Mark ii kit with 24-105 L Series lens. I have the 24-105 1:3.5-5.6 already. I'm undecided on which one lens to keep, I've heard so many mixed reviews. If there isn't much difference I can return L Series. What do you all think??

Just my opinion but i'm my experience Canon L glass is almost always better than non L glass both in build quality and image quality. Also I prefer a constant f4 aperture over a variable 3.5-5.6 aperture any day of the week.
Which version of the 24-105L do you have, there are 2?

Assuming you have the first version DXO mark scores the first version L slightly higher on the 6D mk1 primarily in sharpness. Given that the 6Dmk2 has higher resolution that the mk1 Im guessing the lens lens would have scored even higher but they didnt have the 6D mk2 as a comparison option for these lenses.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM on Canon EOS 6D vs Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM on Canon EOS 6D | DxOMark

Id say you have them both so use them both and do your own comparison. If you dont see any added value in the L lens return it and get another lens for your bag.

It depends . . .
I would use the L lens for most shooting, as my GP lens.
But the smaller lighter variable aperture lens would be easier to carry on a long hike or trip, where size and weight are a factor.

If you can only keep one, I would keep the L lens.

IMHO, you need to think about a lens strategy based on what you plan on shooting. I started with a kit lens, and still have it, but moved to higher quality glass one lens at a time when I had the money. many of them used. For my full frame, I went with a 14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, and for wildlife and birding a 150-600mm f5-6.3. I added a 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, and an 85mm f1.8 portrait lens. I dabble in about every type of photography, shoot events (but not weddings), but my passion is landscapes, wildlife including birding. Find your passion then pick the right lenses for you.

Canon L series lenses are about as good as it gets.

I owned the 24- 105 f/4 L IS USM L-series for a number of years, and used it on the Canon 5D classic. Although it is a fairly substantial lens in size and weight, it's really pretty handy. I think I would keep that lens over a slower, consumer grade lens of the same focal length, or even of similar focal length range.

I would also keep the "L" lens

It seems nobody here is in the position you're in: you have both lenses and can test it out yourself. So just keep them both say a half year and keep switching, until you have an educated opinion yourself.

But yeah, the L lens is more likely to be the winner of such a contest.

Besides, you can also always check out the respective flickr groups, to get a "feel" and impression for a lens, even if you dont own it.

About Canon L lenses, they are intended for professionals, and are very expensive, while their non-L are for hobbyists. While of course all companies have lenses of different prices, I know of no other photographic company that does such a harsh distinction between first rate gear for professionals and third rate gear for hobbyists. Many amazing photographers of times past have been hobbyists, like Miroslav Tichy and Vivian Maier. And any hobbyists can get as good as the professionals if they put the work in to learn the trade. Thus assuming that hobbyists should be rich or use second rate gear seems very arrogant to me.

About sharpness tests from DxO, they are completely useless. They only test one focus distance, and they dont correct for curved focus plane. Which is why some lenses with sharpness issues receive great ratings, while other lenses that have curved focus planes receive poor ratings, despite being super sharp even at the border.

I would use them both in similar situations and compare the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back