What's your opinion on Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM?

SoniaS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have decided to invest in a new standard lens to use with my Canon EOS 70D, but my budget is quite small as I'm a student. I am looking for sort of an 'all purpose' lens that is easy to carry with me when I travel, that's affordable and flexible. I found the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM for a reasonable price, and so far all the reviews I've read seem positive. However, I would like to check with you guys what you think. Also, I should mention that I take very different kinds of photos (portraits, landscapes, travel photography, street photography, events like birthdays, shows etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Sonia

I think that a 24-105mm f4 is similar price and gives so much more. However 24 is kind of narrow on a crop so something like the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 might be more flexible.

Welcome to tpf

I use it on a FF. Sometimes it seems a bit soft, but that could be my lack of focussing skills. One thing that made me choose this lens instead of the tamron, is its "macro" mode. Really nice, but it is not always easy to light the subject properly, as the lens could be awfully close to the subject.

B&H Photo has the Sigma 17mm - 50mm f/2.8 zoom with Optical Stabilizer technology on sale at 37% off, plus a 4% rebate on a future purchase, with free shipping. This would be a MUCH better choice for an EOS 70D body than any 24-70mm lens. This is a $250 price reduction during this, the pre-Christmas run-up, which is **the biggest** period for photo equipment sales.

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens | B&H Photo Video

Thanks for your tips!!

What about the Sigma 18-35mm f 1.8 DC HSM, would that be a good match for my Canon 70d? Seems good because the large aperture is perfect for portraits, yet it seems flexible and adaptable to other photography styles too.

Thanks for your tips!!

What about the Sigma 18-35mm f 1.8 DC HSM, would that be a good match for my Canon 70d? Seems good because the large aperture is perfect for portraits, yet it seems flexible and adaptable to other photography styles too.
That lens has been getting rave reviews. I'm not sure I will be using it for portraits though. I would imagine it would be good for astro photography, or indoor low light conditions where no flash is allowed.

Thanks for your tips!!

That is considered by most the best general purpose zoom lens (wide to standard) available for
crop sensor bodies at the moment. The Canon 17-55 F/2.8 shares that 1st spot in my opinion.

There's nothing better then those two but don't expect to do great portrait with only 35mm,
the Canon 17-55 would be better for that, or, a used 50mm prime to go along with the 18-35.

24-70 on a crop sensor is not wide enough for most.

I decided to go for Sigma 17-50 2.8, it was a lot cheaper and seems like a very good lens. Thanks everyone for your help :)

I decided to go for Sigma 17-50 2.8, it was a lot cheaper and seems like a very good lens. Thanks everyone for your help :)

Your going to love that lens. I bought one for my Nikon and it replaced the 18-55 kit lens. It is pretty much on the camera most of the time. It's heavier but well built and the IQ and zoom range is worth it.

Most reactions

Back