Whatsit #96

A retaining ring holds optical component inside the barrel. I am guessing this is either on the front of a filter or perhaps a lens.

1006659.jpg

(http://www.edmundoptics.com/mechani.../m23-2-m27-5-tube-system-retaining-rings/3460)

I didn't think they had names for those little socket thingies. If it's what I am thinking of, it's where the spanner fits into the ring so it can be removed?

Last edited:
No, not a retaining ring.

What is pictured is part of the lens mount.

I guessed lens mount! Surely that should suffice for just a part of one.

I've checked both of my NIKKOR lenses and both of my Canon lenses and haven't been able to detect anything like it... maybe I should look harder.

I see one on the back of my 24mm Nikkor, but I don't know what it is. I think it is part of what locks the lens to the body. It receives the pin (attached to lens release button) from the body.

I see one on the back of my 24mm Nikkor, but I don't know what it is. I think it is part of what locks the lens to the body. It receives the pin (attached to lens release button) from the body.

Yepper! This one happens to be on a BR-2a reversing ring.

(I think it's call the lens stop notch)

WII96SF.jpg

On the A-Mount that is where the lens release pin fits.

Yay - I figured one out & learned something, too.

Ahh...that's why I couldn't find it, even taking macro shots of my lenses...none of mine look like that. Well, actually, it turns out my macro lens' lens stop notch looks like that, but IT was on my camera taking photos of the other lenses, which don't have an open-end like that on the notch.

Good one! And by good, I mean, ridiculously impossible but interesting nonetheless... :lol:

Ha, nice one. I've always been close, but no cigar...

I am convinced this article is a piece of machined metal. Am I correct?

Most reactions

Back