When HDR goes Awry

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This one went a bit psycho on me in processing.

400-valley-view-mapped.jpg

Why does HDR change the colors?

I don't think it so much changes the colors, rather, it layers them. At least that's what I think happened to the sky. I've been shooting long exposures after sunset to get more of a richness to the colors, and I like to bring that out (like in the forground). I think I over-saturated in the hdr generator. It was a little hazy, but the haloing got out of hand.

I reprocessed the multiple exposures and it came out like this;

380-2vv.jpg

It looks more natural, but I totally lost the sky.

So,... pretty much talking to myself, I say, "Myself, this shot just ain't working out."

So I say back to myself, "Myself, you're right. Maybe you should call it a nice memory, a beautiful sunset, just for you?"

So I say to myself again, "Myself, you know you have that in RAW- and you've been wanting to try that out?"

So's I try it out;

4x5c1170_1.jpg

ehhhh, nope.

Thanks for staring.

:)

Your third attempt is much more pleasing. I never rely on software to make my HDR pictures. It's for the same reason I don't shoot jpg. If I'm going to make a picture with extended dynamic range, I shoot 2, maybe 3 exposures in RAW, and put them together myself in photoshop. That way I can pull out the dynamic range where I want it, and where it makes sense.

Once again, your last version is very nice in terms of dynamic range, and colors. I might rethink the crop however. There seems to be a bit too much foreground for my tastes.

Thanks Krestan & Matt.

Sounds/looks like a good idea getting away from the .jpg- Thanks!

Krestan, actually you're correct. The area, as far as the mountains in the horizon, were, for millions of years, part of an inland sea. The sea shrank into a lake, and the lake dryed up roughly 10,000-20,000 years ago. In an overall relative scale- ... what you said. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back