When shooting and editing 35mm film, where do you draw the line?

imagemaker46 said:
I still miss doing this. Unless someone has done this before, they really have no idea what all the film guys had to go through, from loading the roll in the camera to the final print. Certainly more than just pushing a button. I learned to appreciate photography more in the film days than I do with digital.

I have not shot digital for 3 weeks now since i started developing at home again its such a buzz

Do you mean a buzz from the excitement of developing film again or from inhaling the chemicals? :cool:

imagemaker46 said:
I still miss doing this. Unless someone has done this before, they really have no idea what all the film guys had to go through, from loading the roll in the camera to the final print. Certainly more than just pushing a button. I learned to appreciate photography more in the film days than I do with digital.

I have not shot digital for 3 weeks now since i started developing at home again its such a buzz

Do you mean a buzz from the excitement of developing film again or from inhaling the chemicals? :cool:

Never did mind the chemicals. It's one of those things like fresh baked bread, it's easy to forget the smell, and just a quick to come back. I spent so many years working in a darkroom, and like anything, it came with a lot of good memories.

I only do what could and would be done in the traditional way in the darkroom. Part of the reason for using film is the urgency to get it right in the first place: in camera. If too much is modified or manipulated later on a computer, it defeats the object, imo.

You have to think about one shot. One shot is what it's all about. A deer's gotta be taken with one shot.

I think that whatever it is you do, it should be in the spirit of improving the quality of the work. So in that sense, I don't see a delineation between where film ends and digital begins. I think both have their lessons to be learned. For me personally, I feel that working with film is therapeutic. Film is about working within limitations. You're limited in how much you can shoot, limited by the light in the environment, and limited in how much you can fix after the fact. The end result tends to be much more thought into the image for me.

In the end though, I think it has to improve the work. Film for film sake is no more useful then doing everything digital. For myself, I think working in film has made my other work better. The lessons you learn from one thing are useful in all the other creative things you do.

The artist is the only person that can determine what constitutes "
improving the quality of the work", regardless the art media used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back