When shooting indoors why do my pictures come out so white?

crowl31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using my XTI and for some reason if i try to shoot close to things the pictures come out like i'm holding a strobe light on them becuase the flash is so bright?

Is there a way i can adjust that?

Hit Menu
Arrow to the right one time to munu 2
Arrow down 2 times to Flash exp comp
Hit Set (round button in middle of arrows)
Arrow to the left to make flash output weaker
Arrow to the right to make it stronger
Hit Set again to lock in your selection

Or, instead of using a flash, try bumping your ISO up in dark situations

Thanks for the advice, I picked up a soften screen today and I also started messing around with the flash settings like you suggested.

:thumbup:

I made myself one, it works pretty well...

Get a clear\transparent film canaster.
Cut out a whole big enough to fit it onto the flash (I used a box cutter) and then slip it on, and start firing!
It doesn't look very attractive, but if you were worried about looks you would buy an off camera flash

I'm using my XTI and for some reason if i try to shoot close to things the pictures come out like i'm holding a strobe light on them becuase the flash is so bright?

Is there a way i can adjust that?

Well...you might not actually need to use the flash. Sometimes the flash pops up because your camera presets thinks it needs it for some low light conditions....but what actually ends up happening is that the photo gets completely blown out by the flash. I find (in some cases) light provided is much better for shooting things close up if your subject is not moving and you have a tri pod, or maybe just adding a soft light lamp through a cloth if you don't have an umbrella is all you need...just adjust your WB, and aperture and the camera should do the rest!

Most reactions

Back