What's new

When the action on the court slows down...go macro!

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
710
Reaction score
132
Location
Illinois
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking pictures at a Jr High basketball the other night, and captured this image of a woman in the stands. She had the gear, but I guess basketball wasn't keeping her interest.

IMG_2065-1.jpg
 
Ughh... give it a couple days and some b/w and that thread will be right below this one...
 
I spy.......a kit lens! She really should have a reflector on that flash if she wants to use it facing up in a GYM. Nice photo of a MWAC and too much money :)
 
I don't understand the negativity of some people on this thread, one time use, polaroid, point and shoot, kit lens, or flash without a reflector, everyone starts somewhere. It doesn't seem to cross some peoples mind that maybe someone enjoys photography and is just starting, or can't afford extended gear. Whatever the reason may be, the world is full of to much arrogance, i'm sure you have more knowledge, skill, experience, and gear as the so called MWAC but that is no reason to judge someone for doing what they love. I see this all the time on here, why risk deterring someone from something they may love and be very good at someday. Point is as a community no matter the skill level or experience new comers should be welcomed to enjoy the things that you and them alike enjoy. You were a beginer with a kit lens one day too. Think of a photo of your son playing basketball only to read comments from pros "just another punk kid with a basketball". Dreams are not yours to crush.
 
We're not serious... obviously.
 
haynie90 said:
I don't understand the negativity of some people on this thread, one time use, polaroid, point and shoot, kit lens, or flash without a reflector, everyone starts somewhere. It doesn't seem to cross some peoples mind that maybe someone enjoys photography and is just starting, or can't afford extended gear. Whatever the reason may be, the world is full of to much arrogance, i'm sure you have more knowledge, skill, experience, and gear as the so called MWAC but that is no reason to judge someone for doing what they love. I see this all the time on here, why risk deterring someone from something they may love and be very good at someday. Point is as a community no matter the skill level or experience new comers should be welcomed to enjoy the things that you and them alike enjoy. You were a beginer with a kit lens one day too. Think of a photo of your son playing basketball only to read comments from pros "just another punk kid with a basketball". Dreams are not yours to crush.

A little over dramatic don't you think?

Are you, perhaps, a teenage girl?

P.S. The photo is legitimately funny. Suck on that opinion for a while.
 
#1, I was joking. #2, I was referring to the woman in the photo, NOT the OP. I didn't look at the EXIF (if its even available) I don't know what the OP used, I don't care. I see these women all the time at my little brother-in-law's sporting events. They buy the camera because hubby makes more money than Donald Trump and they want the best of the best. So they spend $8k on product and not a penny or minute learning anything about the camera. These are imitators with large wallets and likely use the camera every weekend at the games and never bother to transfer the images to the computer. Who needs to with a 1TB SD card?
 
Did she spend three hours photographing those nachos??? Was it a lifestyle nacho shoot?
 
As far as the OP's perspective, it's a fun picture that captures a sweet moment between a mom and daughter. That's wonderful that you could capture it, kudos!
 
No Derrel, that's unlikely. Remember that's only for newborns, the most fickle and impossible beings! If they're not feeding sleeping or pooping, they can escape! Very elusive they are. The nacho shoots usually only last about 1.5 hours TOPS!
 
I think her son must have been on the basketball team, as I saw her taking pictures down on the floor later that evening. This was just a quick moment that I saw across court. It made me laugh. Nacho-Macro. Sounds like a mexican wrestling event.

Curiously, even when on the floor I never saw her flash fire. She had it on camera, but I don't think she had it turned on.
 
On the other hand, the basketball game was evidently not holding YOUR attention either, as you were busy taking pictures of some lady taking pictures of nachos... :biglaugh:

(Disclaimer for those who seem inclined to jump down other's throats for silly little things: I am in no way suggesting that CMfromIL is not a serious or competent photographer, nor am I serious in my remark that she was not tending well to the game. When shooting sports, I, too, tend to look around for the "other shots"--the people in the stands, players on the bench, etc. I just found it amusing that in order to point out a person who was not really paying attention to the game, she had to stop paying attention to the game... :lol: )

Curiously, even when on the floor I never saw her flash fire. She had it on camera, but I don't think she had it turned on.
It would hardly mattered if it HAD fired. The way she has it pointed, it would have done no good for her photo, and likely would have just blinded some poor grandpa sitting in the stands. :lol:
 
#1, I was joking. #2, I was referring to the woman in the photo, NOT the OP. I didn't look at the EXIF (if its even available) I don't know what the OP used, I don't care. I see these women all the time at my little brother-in-law's sporting events. They buy the camera because hubby makes more money than Donald Trump and they want the best of the best. So they spend $8k on product and not a penny or minute learning anything about the camera. These are imitators with large wallets and likely use the camera every weekend at the games and never bother to transfer the images to the computer. Who needs to with a 1TB SD card?

aaaaand? this affects us how? so if you get a brand new mac i7 computer and don't do anything with it except surf the web you shouldn't have been allowed to buy it? who cares if she IS just some mom that wanted a good camera? Im guessing the pictures was taken in America, where for the moment, we still have the right to go and spend our money how we want. I like how you also assume that her "hubby" makes the money and that it cant possibly be because she has a good job with a good income....classy

there seems to be this assumption that anytime someone buys a DSLR, they are automatically "trying" to be a professional. maybe they just want to take better pictures or have a longer range than a point and shoot will get them.
 
As far as the OP's perspective, it's a fun picture that captures a sweet moment between a mom and daughter. That's wonderful that you could capture it, kudos!

Agreed. Now you should try to sell her this photo. PRICELESS!
 
On the other hand, the basketball game was evidently not holding YOUR attention either, as you were busy taking pictures of some lady taking pictures of nachos... :biglaugh:

Hey now, just because I was using my 7D does NOT mean I took several 'burst' pictures of her. I mean maybe I moved around a bit to get the best angle, fiddled with my ISO, aperature, and zoom, then came home cropped the best of the bunch for critique...all in the nature of a chuckle. That didn't happen. Most likely.

And if I remember right, there was a break in the action. I mean seriously...this is 7th grade basketball here. Non-stop action. Never a dull moment...like enough time to macro shoot nachos! :-P
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom