When using this, what do I do?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so when using The_Online_DOF calculator..how do I do so? I shoot a D90. This means that I am encountering a 1.5x crop factor. I know this. If I am shooting my 80-200 2.8 at 200mm..with this crop factor, I have a 300mm lens. If I add a 1.5x TC, this would technically give me an equivalent of 450mm. Okay. I understand all this well and good. But, when Im using the DOF calculator, which of those focal lengths do I put in? The 200mm the lens says, the 300mm the 1.5x crop factor or TC gives, or the 450mm the crop factor and the TC actually gives?

Thanks,
Mark

In the DoF Calc link you provided, you do not need to change anything yourself, just enter the actual physical values. i.e. If you use a 50mm prime lens, just choose 50mm as the focal length.

It's because that online app already include the sensor size into the equation.

Try this, choose a D700 camera and D90 with other settings stay the same, you will notice the results are different.

Alright. So with a 80-200 set at 200, and a 1.5x TC, I should put in 300mm...?

Mark

Yeah, use the numbers that are actually on the lens.
(If it were any case other than that, it wouldn't ask you what camera you're using. It's automatically figuring in the crop factor.)

edit
Yeah, 200mm + 1.5 = 300mm.

Alright, thats alot to the pair of you. I am planning on going to the zoo here lately. This is why I asked.

Thanks again.
Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back