Where do you buy your equipment???

RisingSun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is no independent camera store near me :grumpy:. I have been thinking about opening a small camera store with a repair service and knowledgeable staff. I bought my camera and equipment from a place called Precision Camera in Austin, TX. I respected this store and would like to create a small version of it.

Amazon, B&H, and Adorama have so much power and is the sole reason I don't pull the trigger. Personally, I don't like sending my business to big corporate online retailers like these 3, but I realize we're not all alike.

So, please let me know where you buy your equipment and what your advice would be for me.

Ebay. Craigslist. Local store. Big-box out-of-state stores. Other forum members. Other local shooters. Pawn shops. Goodwill store.

Last edited:
im going to be hitting up yard sales this summer....

Amazon and some local stores.

Would you all prefer local stores over online retailers like Amazon and B&H?

For me it depends on the price. If there is only a $10-15 difference I will go local, if there is a large difference I will go with whomever is cheaper (usually Amazon).

Well, I can't speak for "All", but for me, absolutely.

In Manhattan, B&H and Adorama are local camera (etc.) shops. You can walk in and ask questions, handle the equipment, etc. Each one has one store. They got so big online, in my opinion, because they are very good on prices and very good on customer service. Dealing with either of them is not like dealing with a Walmart. Nearer to me, on Long Island, there are two Berger Brothers shops, and they are also excellent in terms of prices and service, in the stores or online. These are real photo people.

I have a pretty good sized camera store in my town (Hunts). They're a small chain with a few New England locations. I like to shop locally so I've tried to buy from them but they do not have a big selection of used/refurb equipment and they can never come close to B&H or Cameta etc. in terms of price for new items. (Example Tokina 11-16mm dx ii new $599 vs. B&H $535)

Also, we have sales tax here in Massachusetts (6.25%) and for now, it doesn't apply when ordering online from a store with no physical presence here (a savings of another $37 on the above Tokina example). Sometimes, the sales tax will be a wash with any shipping fees that might be applicable. Final price/warranty/return policy being relatively similar, I would buy locally but that never seems to happen.

Have not had to have anything repaired yet but will likely use them if/when that becomes necessary.

I honestly buy from wherever I get the best price. B&H usually does a great job of beating everyone. A ton of people totally overlook Best Buy as an option. Their 18 months same as cash deal got me my 5D MK III for $300 less than anyone else could get it at the time. And they threw in an extra battery.

Where I buy my camera and camera equipment ?

Henrys
Black's
Kijiji
ebay

I buy where-ever can give me what I want ... price/product.

Servicing is a good thing to have, it separates you from just a place to buy stuff.
Offering other unique products like film, and developing equipment/chemistry would could also be a consideration ... and UNBIASED knowledgeable staff.
You cannot beat the big guys on price ... you can only offer what they do not have to survive.

Well I like KEH and Ebay for used, and occasionally Adorama or B&H depending on what I'm buying. I prefer online to local actually, we only have the one local shop and their prices are generally quite a bit higher than the online stores. It makes a certain amount of sense of course, they have a storefront to maintain so more overhead and less buying power. If it was just the straight price difference I might still be encouraged to buy local, but if I buy local I have to pay not only the higher retail markup but also the local sales tax, so by the time it's said and done if I do buy local I generally end up spending quite a bit more for the same product.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back