Where do you Store?

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys! As my photo collection grows, the memory on my Mac shrinks! I have had my camera for just a few weeks, and I have used 2.? GB of space on my computer.

Do you guys Store on your computer, External HD, Leave the pics on the memory cards?

I asked for a 360GB External HD for Christmas and I'm thinking of transferring my entire photo collection to it.

I store mine on a networked computer dedicated as a file server, it backs up automatically to an external hard drive daily. All my photographs are also stored on DVDs offsite - I keep them in my desk at work.

I have a 2nd hard drive from an older PC that my photos are on. Problem is, I use that drive for storing everything. When I was on dialup, I kept everything I downloaded (for sim racing and flight simming) and that 80 gig is full. I am in the process of cleaning it off.

I have it partitioned into 4 seperate drives, data, programs, gaming, and photos with about 20 gig on each. I need to clean, then transfer everything over to my system drive, and clear the partitions so I have a single drive again.

I need to do some DVD backup. I lost all my photos from my first daughter being born because I didn't back up. It's been 8 years and I still haven't learned and haven't backed up. That being said, my PC will probably crash tonight :(

I have them all on a separate internal drive (1TB), and nightly backups to an eSATA drive. I'm also in the process of writing a script that would do nightly backups to my ftp server.

No, don't leave them on the card, that's too expensive. Yes I leave a set on one of my internal hard drives, and Yes I have a backup set on an external drive. Sometimes I also backup to DVD but am way behind in that department...

I'm actually in the process of dealing with the same issue. Although I ran out of space on my Mac Tower long ago. Before I got my 5D and files became huge (I save the RAWs and TIFFs) I had been burning CDs when I got 700MB worth of images. I'd burn 2 copies, 1 I kept, the other I took to my parents. After I got up to 120 CDs (240 with copies) I went to DVDs. But now I have a "pile" of externals. 150s, 250s, 500s, and 1TBs. I've finally decided it's time to clean and organize. I've been pretty bad about having the same images on multiple drives. What I'm doing is going through each drive, getting rid of junk and placing them on a new fresh drive. once that drive is filled, I plan on buying a duplicate drive and backing them up. The second drive I'll take to my parents. Then on to the next drive. If there's duplicates from the first drive I'll just delete them.

I've recently purchased 10 500GB drives (Maxtor) at WalMart for $79 each. For the price of these, I'll 2 copies of 2.5TB of images. Well worth the security of having backups.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back