Where is the community at TPF?

Sorry Chiller, but its something you have to live with. All "online forums" change faces as they grow bigger. New members join some bad, and some good.

In my eyes there are still some very good members on this site, but a lot of drive bye posters and people that post once for camera advice.

Sorry Chiller, but its something you have to live with. All "online forums" change faces as they grow bigger. New members join some bad, and some good.

In my eyes there are still some very good members on this site, but a lot of drive bye posters and people that post once for camera advice.

Oh I totally agree. That is why I have gone elsewhere.:D And yeah, there still are some good members here, but I enjoy the smaller forums, and groups I have joined. We seem to accomplish more discussing our photos, then plastering them up and hoping somebody can post a useful comment.
I will still pop in to see what is going on every now and then, but have lost my drive to be a fully active member here.

I did a quick count of 42 people with over 5,000 posts. I looked at the names.....

good god! proof that some people just have no life, to post over 5000 times on a forum is just insane. maybe they should get out more :biggrin:

How many people come to this board in a genuine attempt to improve their photography?
Very few, I think. But this is largely because they don't know very much so they don't realise they still have a lot to learn.
Similarly, a lot of the people commenting on pictures don't actually know how to look at a photograph let alone how to give a crit.
But there is this deep seated belief that owning a camera makes one a 'photographer' (even though modern digital cameras do virtually all of the work), and that knowing how to look at a photograph is an innate ability in anyone with eyesight.
Such people are almost beyond help because they don't want it and think they don't need it.
All they want is for people to tell them that their snap is a work of genius or their knowledge of Photography is god-like.
And you expect such people to have a sense of community?
I certainly wouldn't want to spend any time with them.
This place has organised some awesome social get-togethers (Joshua Tree, Saffron Walden, Germany...) but that was in the days when people came to TPF to post in off-topic and chat to everyone. Posting photographs wasn't important.
I even drove a hundred miles to London after work just to meet Lumi and her bloke en route from the US to Australia. It didn't matter that I got there too late to have dinner and didn't get home until 3am. It was a TPF meet-up and that was what was important.
Why, I've even made Chiller his breakfast coffee and got Anti hooked on Toffee Crisp.
We did hula dances for the newbs, dressed in bear costumes in the dungeon, and clogged the toilets with all manner of things - nasal hair mostly.
But look at the threads - and the people - you find in here now.
It's like watching paint dry.
But then, I'm getting old and suffering from ennui.

The monkey on my shoulder is whispering in my ear and I may just have to listen. So put up the sandbags and lock the doors, Terri. You know what that monkey can get me doing :lol:

*Edit* Woot! It's LP!!

Oh I totally agree. That is why I have gone elsewhere.:D And yeah, there still are some good members here, but I enjoy the smaller forums, and groups I have joined. We seem to accomplish more discussing our photos, then plastering them up and hoping somebody can post a useful comment.
I will still pop in to see what is going on every now and then, but have lost my drive to be a fully active member here.

May I ask what forum? :D

And Hertz I couldn't agree more.

I miss the old days ----- and the otters

but mostly the old days --

but at least the site is mostly penguin free at last! ;)

I didn't realise Cory hadn't cleaned up the Coke spillage...
:shock:

but at least the site is mostly penguin free at last! ;)
ptgbaseballbat.gif
Don't you believe it.

What? You think the toilets were clogged with penguin feathers and not nasal hair as we thought?
:er:

Oh my, a Brazilian penguin. The thought of the possibility of frostbite has snatched my breath quite away.

Similarly, a lot of the people commenting on pictures don't actually know how to look at a photograph let alone how to give a crit.

I was just making mention to that concept or at least same principle just yesterday. I had said something about people not knowing how to properly deliver critwork....

*EDIT*
Battou said:
I have ample reason to believe that a major contributor to the failure of crit sections are crits delivered by those who are ignorant as to how to deliver a critique.

Most reactions

Back