Where to buy in Canada?

horatius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is André, I am a photographer from Brazil.

I was wondering if you guys could give me an advice.
I´m buying the Canon Rebel XT, you probably heard about it. My girlfriend will be in Canada next week and I asked her to buy it for me, because the price is much lower in there.

The problem is that I have no clue about canadian good stores. She will go to Montreal, Quebec and Toronto. Do you know which is the best store to buy the camera?

Good prices, easy to get in there, better if they deliver the camera on the hotel...

In case you dont know, do you know someone who does?

Thank you a lot!

André

I've bought some things from Henry's over the Internet. I think the store is located in Toronto. I've been happy with the results. I do however think you will get a better deal using the Internet and dealing with Adorama or B&H. Both, I think, are located in NYC. Both ship worldwide...

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/st...ay?dest=frames.jsp&currency=CAD&storeId=10001

Henrys is located at the intersection of Queen and Church.

Go to Queen station and walk east for 5 mins or so. You'll see a yellow store "downtown camera" on your right side. Don't go there, they're crooks.

They go for 1300 canadian with the kit lens. If you can, pick up the 50/1.8 for 130 bucks. Excellent lens.

Have fun in Toronto! (and canada)

If she'll be in Montreal (which is in the province of Quebec), Simon's Cameras is probably the best place to buy the camera. I've never been to their retail location, but ordering items from them has always gone smoothly. The Rebel XT is $1150 there as opposed to $1300 at Henry's. It works out even better for me, living in Ontario, because I don't have to pay PST on orders from other provinces. I'm pretty sure she can claim back at least the GST on purchases she makes in Canada, but she'll have to pay both taxes (15%) at the time of purchase.

You may want to consider scrapping the idea and just ordering online from somewhere like B&H. Canadian prices are not generally particularly great compared to anywhere in the U.S. -- the only reason I ever order photography equipment in Canada is because most of the manufacturers won't honour U.S. warranties here.

Remember, when your girlfriend gets back, she'll be asked to declare the stuff she bought in Canada, and I'm not sure how much of a travel exemption your government gives (here it depends on how long you're out of the country). Then again, you'll probably end up paying tax or duty if you mail order, so you'll have to decide what's best for you. Either way, you'll probably be out of a warranty unless you want to ship the camera back to the respective country you order it from.

Thank you a lot guys! I'll have my camera next week!

:)))))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back