What's new

Where to buy lenses??????

obx

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where do you guys and girls purchase your lenses????? Give me some websites, please!!!!! And tell me why you get it from there???? Thanks
 
1st choice is a local brick and mortar photography shop if the price is within 10% +/- of B&H's price. With the brick and mortar I can shoot the lens before I buy and make sure I like the copy I am getting. Also, while I have, do and will continue to by from B&H, and understand, their service has always been good, I live 1,000 miles from their store. My local store is 4.2 miles away. I get direct and immediate service when I walk in the door. Service is worth a few extra dollars when you have have a shoot and a particular needed lens goes down.

If my brick and mortar store's prices are too far out of line then my choice is B&H. They have always been good to their word on stock, price, shipping and taking care of any issues. If there is an issue, I just have to deal with it over the phone and with the time lag that brown causes. They are a well respected business in the photographic world. There are others, I just don't have experience with them like I do B&H so I will let others speak of them.
 
All of my lenses have come through B/H. Why? Well, I have no brick store w/in a reasonable drive and even if I did, I shoot Pentax and most brick stores don't generally stock Pentax. So, I've spent about $3k in lenses w/ B/H. They're a top notch store. Their prices are second to none. Even w/ free shipping I get my goods in about 2 days. They're honest, etc. The only other place I've bought lenses from was on Ebay once from Henry's ebay store. (B/H was closed for Easter I think at the time, and was out of stock anyway on the 77mm f/1.8 limited).
 
I usually get it from Amazon. If the lens is not in stock there, then I go to B&H, Calumet or Adorama. Here are 2 lenses that I recommend for beginners:

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC - excellent for just about any subject and for beginning photography - Review at Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD (IF) Macro Review | Tamron Lens Review - $80 rebate

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC - a lens that will take your photography to the next level - Review at Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Asph. (IF) Review | Tamron Lens Review - $25 rebate
 
Another vote for Adorama (www.adorama.com) and B&H (B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders).

Why? Excellent past experiences and consistently competitive prices.

They both also have gray market items (clearly marked on the web pages) at a slight discount if that's of interest to you (I've never tried those, but presumably they are similar to the US market items other than the warranty).
 
I am grateful to all here for your kind words and gracious recommendations. Thank you.
 
No local store so its B&H for me. I live in smallville alberta and it only took 4 days shipping. Super fast. Only con is I need to spend more to make my shipping justifiable lol.
 
I live in Cleveland which is the hometown of Dodd Camera. Their big warehouse and store are less than 20 minutes away and they stock just about anything I'd want.

Online (if needed) I go with B&H.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom