Where to Find interesting Birds

psran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A bit of background first. I live in a very busy Urban jungle, all I can see from my roof is Buildings and more buildings. We do have some birds here like Pigeons, Sparrows and Eagles as but nothing really unique. I tried using feeders but only squirrels and pigeon's occasionally visit it.

So I want to know from guys living in same conditions, how do you find some really rare and Eye catching birds. I mean, is visiting Zoos or Wild life sanctuaries the only way out?

Suggestions please

Last edited:
A bit of background first. I live in a very busy Urban jungle, all I can see from my roof is Buildings and more buildings. We do have some birds here like Pigeons, Sparrows and Eagles as but nothing really unique. I tried using feeders but only squirrels and pigeon's occasionally visit it.

So I want to know from guys living in same conditions, how do you find some really rare and Eye catching birds. I mean, is visiting Zoos or Wild life sanctuaries the only way out?

Suggestions please

Where exactly do you live in India? A lot will depend on that. There's a facebook group called Indian birds, can't post the link now as I'm at my office, but I've seen some really really unique bird shots there. The best part is with each shot you'll find the exact location of the same. Maybe you should join the group, I can post a link later tonight if you want.

BTW I find eagles and hawks to be rather unique, no matter how many shots you've seen of them a each shot always turns out unique, just my 2 Rs. worth :)

Where exactly do you live in India? A lot will depend on that. There's a facebook group called Indian birds, can't post the link now as I'm at my office, but I've seen some really really unique bird shots there. The best part is with each shot you'll find the exact location of the same. Maybe you should join the group, I can post a link later tonight if you want.

BTW I find eagles and hawks to be rather unique, no matter how many shots you've seen of them a each shot always turns out unique, just my 2 Rs. worth :)

I am in Delhi/NCR, have seen many good bird's pics but most of them are from South Indian region. Delhi/NCR in particular is a pretty dry region as far as Birding is concerned.

Do post the links you were talking about whenever possible

Here, breaking a few rules for you ;) Indian Birds.. Other members may also consider checking the group out, there are some amazingly diverse group of birds posted there..

Here's a funny and very interesting one from a few days back by Arun Sivan:
10155107_10201852182369516_7442011596678205845_n.jpg

Check out this link for this specific series.

Here's the complete story in the photographers own words:

ID: wood sandpipers and Purple Swamphen
Date : 10/4/2014
I was out in the morning for my usual birding session and was lucky enough to witness something very unusual. Two wood sandpipers were about to court, suddenly out of nowhere a purple swamphen appeared in the spot, it grabbed the female by the wing and walked away few feet completely ignoring the revolting male and released her in some distance. Whenever the sandpiper couple tried to resume with courtship the swamphen intervened. Finally the couple ditched the plan of mating and both gone in their separate ways (may be cursing the moral policing of the big guy).

NOTE: I have sent a message to the photographer informing him that I've posted his pic here, I'll remove it if he has any objections.

Here, breaking a few rules for you ;) Indian Birds.. Other members may also consider checking the group out, there are some amazingly diverse group of birds posted there..

Here's a funny and very interesting one from a few days back by Arun Sivan:

Check out this link for this specific series.

Here's the complete story in the photographers own words:

ID: wood sandpipers and Purple Swamphen
Date : 10/4/2014
I was out in the morning for my usual birding session and was lucky enough to witness something very unusual. Two wood sandpipers were about to court, suddenly out of nowhere a purple swamphen appeared in the spot, it grabbed the female by the wing and walked away few feet completely ignoring the revolting male and released her in some distance. Whenever the sandpiper couple tried to resume with courtship the swamphen intervened. Finally the couple ditched the plan of mating and both gone in their separate ways (may be cursing the moral policing of the big guy).

NOTE: I have sent a message to the photographer informing him that I've posted his pic here, I'll remove it if he has any objections.

Wow great pic and thanks for the Link.

But Question remains, how to attract or find interesting/rare birds

Actually the answer, even if partially, is hidden in that link.. Hardly anyone on this forum has birding experience in India. While they may guide you with the techniques to attract birds and photography, you'll have better luck following a few posts there in that group dedicated to birding in India.. Maybe you can be our Indian birding expert on TPF :D

Actually the answer, even if partially, is hidden in that link.. Hardly anyone on this forum has birding experience in India. While they may guide you with the techniques to attract birds and photography, you'll have better luck following a few posts there in that group dedicated to birding in India.. Maybe you can be our Indian birding expert on TPF :D

I can never be a Birding expert here, there are many very highly skilled photogs here on this forum.

I have sent a request to the Facebook community you mentioned and waiting for their approval as yet

Don't sell yourself short, I would have to give up photography if I was to compare my images with these guys. But they aren't magicians, just experts at their crafts. No reason why me or you can't be an expert someday, no harm in dreaming. Best of luck for your birding adventures.. :cheers:

I can never be a Birding expert here, there are many very highly skilled photogs here on this forum.

I have sent a request to the Facebook community you mentioned and waiting for their approval as yet

Patience, stubbornness and technique. Those are all free and cost nothing. The lenses cost, but you don't have to spend a fortune. The lenses are a one of buy, the camera body not so much. So look at lenses as an investment. A ton of practise and slowly it gets easier. Without the first three, you don't stand a chance no matter what gear you own. The other secret is to ..... relax when shooting.

To find interesting birds in you specific area, Google is your best friend. It works and you will be surprised at what pops up for your area.

All the best and just IMO only.

Danny.

Last edited:
Those are amazing behaviour shots Raj !! Its what we all want to see and yet, sad at the same time. Natural behaviour is not always that nice to see, but it is nature and that's really special.

Just out of interest, the Sacred Kingfisher you see me posting, attacks and eats only one small bird as a delicacy and that's the "Waxeye / Silver eye" A small bird and the Sacred Kingfisher swoops down on them and takes them away. A bit of a scare the first time you see it, in fact any time you see it !!. Only that one bird will they touch.

All the best Raj and just the best of behaviour shots there IMO.

Danny.

Those are amazing behaviour shots Raj !! Its what we all want to see and yet, sad at the same time. Natural behaviour is not always that nice to see, but it is nature and that's really special.

Just out of interest, the Sacred Kingfisher you see me posting, attacks and eats only one small bird as a delicacy and that's the "Waxeye / Silver eye" A small bird and the Sacred Kingfisher swoops down on them and takes them away. A bit of a scare the first time you see it, in fact any time you see it !!. Only that one bird will they touch.

All the best Raj and just the best of behaviour shots there IMO.

Danny.

A lot of gory images in my mind, silver eyes are just so cute. But it's the circle of nature I guess. :(

The behavior shot was indeed very unique, I've never seen one species of bird stopping another species from mating. That's just outright ridiculous, wonder what explanation Darwin has :p

Mating season is just plain crazy for all birds Raj :) They go nuts and get all mixed up !! I'm sure every bird shooter in here can tell you things they've seen that normally just don't happen, except in mating season. A bit like sea lions, bears, stags, etc. I've got an entire series I'll post one day of Stilts trying to drown each other, just completely mad ;). One species doing something to another is a bit unusual like this, but anything goes in that season.

All the best Raj and fascinating shots and behaviour for sure. A huge thanks for posting the link.

Danny.

Most reactions

Back